Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pleasantly surprised

Granted, I've only been gone from Germany for four months...however, I was expecting to see a marked decrease in my (albeit limited) German. Granted, I have almost daily exposure to it still by phone or email or (shudder) a random German speaker in the UK office, or some connection to Germans speaking English to keep me in the mood, or to a bit of German music. And granted, as the Germans would be quick to point out, I shouldn't be so proud of a B1 level after so long here... :-/

However--have previously gone through the ups and downs of learning Spanish and that painful transition after summer break. Here, I notice absolutely no difference in skill from the moment I left until now. I imagine if I would have had a true break and no connection to Germany I may have lost a bit.

Go figure.

No comments: