Friday, June 05, 2009

Different climate, different culture?

The past weekend when we went to Maldon was hot as heck--it reminded me of Philly weather for this time of year. Everyone was out and about enjoying it. One big difference to me--in Phillyland, the public pools open on Memorial day weekend (at the end of May) until Labor day (first week of Sept).

Here in the UK is not quite warm enough in the summer to justify public outdoor pools like in my corner of America, so instead they have these 'water parks' or whatever one calls them:

Although--I do recall freezing my *** off in the early morning summer swimming lessons in the summers growing up. I'm not sure the climate is so much cooler here or if it's more a matter of culture...

2 comments:

G in Berlin said...

It's darned cold where I come from, but every town still has at least a small public pool. It's a different culture. British sailors used to refuse to learn to swim so that they would drown fast rather than slowly... perhaps the attitude has stayed on? Here in Berlin it is the law that children learn to swim and the public pools are great (although not free unless a school child... as far as I know).

kelly said...

They do have outdoor pools in London, they are called "lidos" there are about four. The one in Crouch End (Park Road I think) is my favourite but there are others.