Monday, April 13, 2009

Signs from the South

I spend too much time studying signs. In Germany no office ladies toilet is complete without a cartoon toilet brush ordering one to use it correctly.

In the UK last week there were no such cartoons, but this one stuck out for me because of the use of the word 'please' and 'now':

The US version would look a little more like this:

My favorite kitchen sign last week is from below:

If case you have difficulties to read this, here is the text, but converted from all uppercase to mixed case:

Milk is provided for tea and coffee.
With the exception if you commence work at 7 AM or before. You may use on cereals.
If not Please provide your own milk.
This one interests me because we have a similar sign in the Essex office, to not use milk on cereal, but it does not have the 7 AM exclusion.
I'm not sure why this sticks out to me except that:
-I've never seen such a sign in the US.
-Probably because we don't have gallons of milk in the office fridge.
-Probably because we're not proper tea drinkers, and the only milk for coffee drinkers is often coffee-mate or those little packets of cream which require no refrigeration.

2 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I love this simple commentary on the differences in politeness/language between the US and UK. :)

heather in europe said...

C N Heidelberg: It does seem so more polite than America's version, doesn't it? :-)