After book shopping, I stopped by to have a chat with the cheeseman. He remembered me from before, even before I opened my mouth (well played cheeseman!). I was expecting to be remembered only after he heard the accent. (Am finding not so many Americans in this immediate area.) He had sold out of the one I bought last time, so I went with a different, but similar, goat's cheese. Last time he had mentioned, he could bring me other varieties of goat's cheese if requested in advance, he just doesn't usually bring so many to this market as it's not his biggest seller. So next Friday he'll be bringing a herb-crusted goat's cheese and keeping it under the counter for me. Super, I have a 'local dealer'. ;-)
After that, I stopped by the main veg stand. I've bought a few things there, they are a better value than the supermarket, but they are still not completely local. At the end of the stall, they have the '1 Pound' bowls. It's a collection of things they'll sell off for a pound--things that are reaching the end of their sellable life, or maybe the last of the box of something they're selling, etc.
As it was nearing closing time, it was a great time to visit, as they were dropping the prices on things to clear them out. Stopping by the 1 Pound area, I was pleased as punch to find a super deal on mushrooms (tough to see these are about 2-3 inches across), 2 Pounds for a very large box:

They're looking a little worse for the wear from a long trip home, but overall they are divine.
How many mushrooms did I get for 2 Pounds (2.26 EUR/2.97 USD)?
-->46!
To give you some perspective, a package of three to five of these runs just under one Pound at Asda.
Here, my cost per mushroom is about 4 pence GBP/5 cents EUR/6 cents USD, nevermind the fact that I love mushrooms.
6 of them were sliced and given a quick boil to go over tonight's fresh pasta. Now only 40 more to figure out. I'll be looking into some freezable recipe options by Sunday night lest I turn into a mushroom myself from unadulterated consumption this weekend. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment