Feel free to mentally have a glass of champagne with me and throw some confetti; it will be the ending time of my last German class.
The company has generously paid for quite a few Berlitz hours while I've been here. It's paid off to the effect that I can generally understand what goes on the office, and that is sufficient for what I need at this time. I spend 8+ hours a day/5 days per week there, so that is the bulk of my time in Germany.
Sometimes I marvel at the fact that my vocabulary is so far skewed to office words. I knew the words for 'works council', 'interface', 'department', and 'woman boss' long before I knew basics like 'toothpaste,' 'toilet paper,' and 'Sunday shopping'.
Although I did pick up 'toilet brush' quite early by studying the various 'informational' cartoons in the office ladies' bathroom. Not sure why these 'public service announcements' must always be accompanied by a cartoon in Germany. I've been tempted to sneak into the mens' room to see if they have the same or similar, but never did. ;-)
Monday, December 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Congrats!
That reminds me that I need to start German lessons again (I get them for free). Some kind of mental block (or lack of interest in the German language) has kept me out of them for close to a year.
Well, congrats! I spent 6 months at Berlitz all day, 5 days a week and I couldn't tell you what the word for "toilet brush" is. Oh yeah, that reminds me.... I will work on German, I will work on German...
j: commiserating with your abject apathy on this topic.
dbunny: unfortunately, knowing 'toilet brush' doesn't help me in too many work conversations. ;-)
Post a Comment