Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Germany shopping list

Last week, while I was 'vacationing' at my work colleague's flat, she had asked if I wanted anything from Germany. She goes back on a regular basis, normally the car is almost empty on the UK to DE leg, but full on the return, mainly to take advantage of cheaper prices in DE.

(On the Easter weekend trip they took English mustard and 7 of those gigantic UK chocolate eggs from the UK to Germany, and enough food to survive the drive/ferry over.)

I thought long and hard of what I would be missing from DE which I could not find here. OK, so there's no Koelsch in my immediate vicinity, but plenty of other German beers if I feel the urge. I'm an hour plus north of my colleague and I was coming home before her return, so it needed to be something which would keep for some weeks until I see her again.

What could I possibly need from Germany which is not available in the UK??
-->German pillows!

I am so psyched. My DE pillows were at the end of their natural life when I was leaving, so I tossed them. Currently I'm on borrowed bedding for a few more weeks, so I haven't had to purchase UK ones...and nothing against the UK pillows, they're ok, but....

They are not the big marshmellow squares of fluffy goodness that is Germany pillows.

For example, here is an Ikea Germany version, 80x80: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/30125273

Its Ikea UK counterpart, 50x80:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70129113

And notice the weight difference--Germany's 1230 g vs. the UK's 1065 g.

I am very lucky to have good friends...I received a call on Thursday while at the office...we're in the store in the pillow aisle, here are your options...so two 15 Euro pillows, plus dark pillowcases were purchased and got to take the ferry ride over from Dover and are currently relaxing in Guildford until such time that the drop-off can be exchanged. :-)

3 comments:

J said...

This post really surprises me. I don't want anything from this sorry-ass country after I leave.

heather in europe said...

J: You won't know until you really leave. :-)

extrala said...

The funny thing is, that the german version is for those who sleep on their stomach, while the UK version is for those who sleep on their back.

Different sleeping preferences, eh?