Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday in the UK

Since the car is in the shop, had a day at home catching up on things. Started the day with a proper coffee. This is my baby French press, purchased while in Guildford. It makes one cup. Usually I think it makes sense to try to do things as people do them locally, to experience how others live...but this is one of my few concessions to my American-ness. I will no longer tolerate instant coffee. When I lived here previously I actually gave up coffee, rather than continuing to live the lie that instant coffee is.

Late morning, made some mushooms on toast, topped with crumbled goats' cheese. Nothing too fancy, I sauteed them in olive oil and added some pepper and dried mixed herbs.

I reviewed the remaining mushroom stockpile, and set the majority in the freezer.
I messed around a little in the garden as the weather here was lovely in the early afternoon...
While I was outside, I had the washing on inside. In America, I don't know anyone with a drying rack. In Europe, I don't know anyone without one. The UK ones uniformly go upward rather than the Germany ones which go horizontal. Not sure that one design is any better than the other...

Caught up on some housecleaning with all of the windows open. When the sky went overcast around 15.00, I nipped over to Asda, which is open on Sunday from 10-16. Was off in search of some fresh cleaning supplies, which I found. I was also seeking breadcrumbs to top my cauliflower, but those I didn't find. Not sure if they sell what I'm looking for in the UK, will need to investigate that one further online.

Caught up on some paperwork, assembled lunch for the office tomorrow. Feeling relaxed and set for the work week.

5 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I have some American friends living in London and they envied my German-style drying rack. I didn't know what the UK ones looked like until seeing your photo - it does seem like our German one might be able to hold more (but it's not really clear)! Interesting.

heather in europe said...

C N Heidelberg: Not the best photo as I was angling it so the duck pj's hid the unmentionables. Will get a more proper photo during the week to make a better comparison.

vailian said...

For years we used a contraption from the North of England-- a set of wooden bars about 6 feet long held on both ends by iron brackets which is winched up and down from the ceiling with pulleys.
Works only with high ceilings, though.
But now I have a dryer (my wife hated dryers, and it is a sign of my independence that I bought one after she moved out).
But I still use the (German)hanging racks for many things that don't like dryers.
The ducky jammies are way cute.

christina said...

Wow, a French press, fresh mushrooms for breakfast and jammies with ducks on them! Who could ask for more.

Interesting drying rack. You wonder how different countries come up with different designs - drying racks, windows, door handles, light switches etc. Would make an interesting comparison.

heather in europe said...

v: sounds like a good space option, the rack from the ceiling. btw, the ducks prefer the dryer, it keeps them softer.

christina: i am indeed blessed. :-) good idea--will need to come up with the proper drying rack comparison post still.