Monday, March 30, 2009

If this post appears

It means that the weather is great here in Essex on a Monday and I'm working in the garden on the side hustle. I spent 6 hours inside there on Saturday, because the weather was too wet to work outside.

My latest conclusions from this gig:
- You couldn't pay me enough to own a farmhouse. It was raining buckets on Saturday and the water flooded the floor of the laundry room area. In addition the gutter was clogged so it was dripping through a wall seam into the kitchen.

- Big space requires major upkeep to look nice. 6 bedrooms plus 3 bathrooms and a full living room, dining room etc. requires a lot of work plus a lot of heating costs, in particular with the lack of double glazing. Just to maintain it weekly once it's cleaned up will require hours in vacuuming alone. Not that I can complain--more work for me. :-)

2 comments:

J said...

The English weather must have gotten to you. You're doing the things I hate more than anything.

vailian said...

It never ceases to amaze me that the English, living in the climate they do for god knows how many millenia, never learned to insulate or waterproof their dwellings properly. We owned a flat in London for years, and it was so leaky that ivy was growing through the windows. I love the German system windows (also much superior to the American version): they open and close perfectly even after 30 years, allow airing the room without letting in wind and rain, and can be cleaned easily-- someone could get VERY rich by importing them to the US in these energy-challenged times.