Thursday, March 05, 2009

Two sandwich shops

On the street where I will probably live (fingers crossed!) there are two lunchtime sandwich shops. While I've been out and about, I've tried to interact with both, to get a feeling for the neighborhood.

Sandwich shop 1 (last week):
H: Can I have a jacket potato with cheese?
Sandwich lady 1: Oh......sorry, we're all out. But it's the only thing we're out of, you can pick anything else.
H: Hmm. What do you recommend, that is vegetarian?
SL: Well, we can do cheese on a roll, or a toasted cheese or an egg salad sandwich, or Tuna--if you're 'that kind of vegetarian', or you can say what to put on the sandwich and we'll make it.
H: Cheese on a roll sounds great.
SL: OK....type of bread?....toasted?....do you want a bit of salad on that? (good suggestive upselling there)
H: Super.
SL: Here you go. Apologies again on the potato.
H: Obviously I'll need to come back, they must be good to sell out!

Sandwich shop 2 (today), after waiting 3 minutes for someone to appear from the back:
H: (needing to break a 5 pound note to get parking meter change) One pack of M&M's please. (holding the 5)
SL2: Do you have 55 p by chance?
H: Sorry, no.
SL2: (pauses, with 5 in hand) Is this for change for the parking meter?
H: Yes.
SL2: We can't always be doing this, you know!!
H: (slightly shocked, after 2 stress-free weeks, mentally taken back to DE). (blink.) Sorry, I didn't know, I'm not from here.
SL2: (big German F-off sigh, and goes to the back. Comes back with change and then must go to the cash register.) Here....it has to be small change.
H: Sure.
SL2: Because we don't keep a lot of change.
H: Sorry, I'm a visitor, I didn't realize. (But don't worry, I won't bother you again!)

IF I live on this street--which shop do you think will get all of my business?

At the end of the day, both transactions completed successfully, I loosely got what I went in for (lunch, change). However, I was so turned off by the second shop experience. If I had visited there before I went to see the flat on that street, it probably would have colored my view of the flat. I was mentioning this experience to D later, who was completely peeved, as he explained that this was rude by UK standards. I was considering it by:

1. US Standards - as a business, you're sorta being stupid here. By not keeping change in stock and requiring a sale to give it, you're losing out on business.
2. German Standards - there would have been sighs about having to count out the change if it had been bigger than a 5 perhaps, but you buy something, you get change, none of this whining about not wanting to give it based on the purpose.

5 comments:

G in Berlin said...

Strangely enough. today I needed to break a 2 for the parkscheine. It was early and only an apotheke was open. The gentleman broke it for me, after I explained why I needed it and I was so pleased (because this is DE and he didn't need to) that I went back and bought my rx and a gum there after my dr's appt.
Yet I would have found that Londoner's reaction anonymous and perhaps have left after he gave you that guff. Or been so shocked at the rudeness that I just (like you) never went back.

G in Berlin said...

Oops, obnoxious.

C N Heidelberg said...

Grr, that was not cool!

J said...

Geeze, at least you tried to buy something to get the change, it's not like you just walked in and asked for change. What an idiot.

heather in europe said...

G: good business sense from the apotheke which obviously then paid off.

C N Heidelberg: indeed

J: if you come over to visit from DE, i'll send you in there so you can compare the 'F off' sigh to the German version. :-)