D and I took care of a lot of things yesterday, little things that needed to get sorted before Aunt B arrives on Wednesday. A sample of the exciting things we did:
-D put together a TV table I bought a few months back in the Netherlands.
-I sent my plastic shower curtain through the washing machine to get it ultra clean. I also did three other loads of laundry.
-We attempted to get the new dishwasher up and running, and it's almost ready to go, once I get a connector thingy from Pratiker
-We went to Pratiker to get some mold cleaner, a light bulb to replace the one for over the oven, and one for the refrigerator.
-A trip to Kaufpark to get a crate of water and return some empties
-I cleaned some of the finished plants off of the balkon
-And we even managed to squeeze in an hour to go see the Duck Regatta, which D attempted to film, so if it comes out ok I'll post a link to it.
That night, pondering the success of so many things completed during the day, we decided to nip out to the only bar open past 10 on a Saturday in the tiny town of B for a glass of wine. It's not our regular bar, but the people there were quite friendly. One older man, perhaps in his 70's, spoke no English but had no problem listening to our crap German, and in fact he was so enamoured with us that he bought us each a drink.
We had thought that he would have been retired, but no, he proudly told us that he has been driving a taxi for 39 years for six days a week, and Saturday is his day off. (Which could explain why he was on his ninth beer when we arrived.) Ladies and gentlemen, it's hard enough to understand some of the local German some days, but add in some slurring and you really need to remain on concentrate mode.
However, he was a pleasant enough fellow who did not bring up the usual Anti-American Bush topic, and I was fully amused when he said to me, 'if you ever want to leave this one (gesturing to D who is standing next to him) for an older man, I'm fully available for you.' And then he cackled at his own statement.
And they say Germans don't have a sense of humor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, I hope you got his phone number.. you never know...
vallian: here is the tiny town of b, i wouldn't need his phone number, i would just need to go back to the bar on any saturday as i'm sure he'll be there. ;-)
Post a Comment