Being from Philly and working in the IT industry, I tend to be a tad more rude, cranky, and abrupt than all females and probably most males that I know. Perhaps it explains how I'm able to tough it over year after year in the land of the shouting, dour cranks without feeling even mildly insulted in daily life here.
In the one tiny, dark corner of my heart that is not wearing black every day however, I have a special love of yellow rubber duckies with their sunshiney personalities. I have wanted for years to have a yellow ducky bathroom but the bathroom fixtures where I've lived so far in my life have always been of a color not conducive to decorations of bright yellow (i.e. mauve). Finally in Germany I have an all-white bathroom, but then I was having difficulty finding the proper ducky shower curtain, so I ended up with a goldfish motif instead for the time being.
Why am I rambling on this point? Because for my entire life I have wanted to go to a 'rubber ducky regatta', or one of those things where a community with a creek will dump a bunch of numbered yellow ducks into the creek, and they will 'race' to the finish line with prizes for the first finishers. Usually you 'buy' a duck for the race and the money goes to a charity. Every single time I always miss the races and see the after photo in the newspaper with hundreds of yellow points in the creek and am slightly saddened at missing it live and in technicolor.
This time, however, this time, I will actually see it live, for the first time ever. The tiny town one town over from B is holding their annual townfest and it includes a ducky regatta with the proceeds going to the local school. I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I am for Saturday morning.
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You got to love those duckys! They always appear so calm at the surface, but you know they are peddling away so furiously under the water. Good luck little Heather ducky!
Nat: thanks.
I'm jealous. I've also always wanted to attend a 'rubber ducky regatta'! Have a great time.
Post a Comment