Now that I've been in the new flat for almost three months, I'm starting to get some ideas of how I want it to look. I've been living with the very minimal included furnishings (bed and sofa), and slowly putting together the rest during the evenings and weekends (a new mirror, a shoe rack etc.) while I try to figure out logically how the space should function based on how I'm using it each day.
One of the 'missing' things has been bookshelves. I couldn't bring myself to battle the crowds at the nearest Ikea (45 min away), and nothing at nearby Homebase really appealed. I've been keeping an eye on ebay, but a critical limitation is that 1. it needs to be a few shelves tall to maximize space here in the tiny flat, but it would need to then fit into my car so it cannot be so tall--a catch 22.
Until I happened to see some Habitat stackable cube shelves, gently used, on ebay. I managed to get lucky and win it so off I went to disassemble the shelves, fit everything into the car, bring it back, carry it up four flights of stairs and New friend Ian and I spent the afternoon resassembling it. I'm pleased as they are only very slightly used and as they were habitat they were hella expensive new and seem to be of good quality. In addition, the stackable function gives me a lot of flexibility to completely change up my tiny living room on a whim. :-)
Finally, my books which I started to pack up in December in Germany, which stayed boxed since my arrival here in February are getting to come out and play. I've missed them terribly, but didn't want to create a further mess of clutter here with uncontrollable books out and about, so thus they were kept boxed up. The camera cord is currently on vacation, but when it returns I'll get a photo up...
Sunday, September 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congrats on your 3 months in the apartment. It has to be a comforting fact that you can now start to really feel settled in your space.
rhonalala: thanks! as you pack up, i unpack. :-)
Post a Comment