Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Influencing consumer behavior and marketing to me

One area in the UK which reminds me more of the US than Germany is the ability and willingness of vendors to modify prices to change consumer behavior to meet their business goals.


Specific examples in the past week:

1. Asda - As mentioned, I'm a big fan of online grocery shopping to avoid the queue and hassle of carrying everything down the street and up four flights of stairs. As I don't buy fresh things online but rather heavy/bulky things (cat litter, paper towels, fizzy water, wine, etc), I have a good deal of flexibity in my ordering and am gearing up to do a big order once per month.

I was looking online and starting to put together my order last week, for this week. Asda (for whatever business reason they had--numbers to make, knowledge of consumer spending during school holidays, whatever), dropped the delivery change down to 2.50 GBP per order for a few days in the last week of August.

As it is, I'm already on the low end of the online delivery food chain. Prices from the big supermarkets generally go anywhere between 3.50 and 6.50. Tuesday/Wednesday from Asda tends to be the rock bottom 3.50 rate. Drop me down a pound further and I'm influenced to order a week earlier. I never felt that Germany was able to vary in their prices so much, or to be overly responsive to the market. Strawberries are cheap in July as they're in season, my favorite fizzy water would be sold 2 crates for 6.66 once per quarter (yeah, that one was easy to remember), but everything always seemed very planned in relation to prices or sales, or maybe that was just my small area with limited competition or choices...

2. Papa John's pizza - no better way to celebrate the end of vegan month than a discount pizza. I ordered online from them once, and now I get an SMS once a week with a special offer which isn't available online. It's specifically from my local outlet, so I guess they can be clever and anticipate what they want to move (if anything) during a particular week. Tonight it was 'any pizza 9.99 tonight or Wednesday'. In Germany I always went with the local pizza places but none of them 1. had online ordering or 2. did any sort of midweek special. The price was the price which was the price, be it Tuesday afternoon or Friday night. Although carryout did get you a 10% discount. Here these offers tend to come during slow times. Usually they would be Mon, Tues or Wed pizza at a special price, but with yesterday's bank holiday their offer came out today for today and tomorrow.

Speaking of UK pizza delivery--another thing I'm a big fan about here is ordering online. I hate to call and be on hold or not understand the UK accent. Even better, let me order and pay online--then, send me an email that the order is received and then an SMS when the delivery guy is on his way out the door. I'm a big fan of technology when used well.

No comments: