Monday, July 06, 2009

My tax money at work

Living on the fourth floor rooftop flat with no elevator, I very quickly came to the conclusion that I will get a compost bin to avoid carting ridiculous amounts of compost up the stairs to support my gardening habit, as well as having to avoid carrying large amounts of garden trash down the stairs. (I acknowledge, this one is more lazyness than environmental do-goodism.) I checked the large homegoods store down the street--there were a few nice looking options. Although, grumble, grumble, why does a big plastic box cost 50 pounds?

So I was pleasantly pleased to find out that Essex County Council offers a subsidized compost bin scheme. A giant subsidized box has now been ordered. I love living here!

5 comments:

J said...

I assume you'll be getting the 17 pound one?

heather in europe said...

J: I actually went for the 18 pound one in the end. There's enough space on the roof to accomodate it. :-)

Ralph said...

Great. Compost is the A and O of organic gardening. Very wise of the Brits to promote composting.

I would like to see you start an allotment garden.

heather in europe said...

Ralph: funny you should mention an allotment...i had looked into that prospect upon initially arriving here--at the main spots in town, all slots were taken and with waiting lists. :-(

Ralph said...

I suspect you might be on that waiting list for a fairly long time.

Perhaps you could rent a small parcel from a local farmer or someone who has more land than he or she knows what to do with at the moment.