Saturday, July 04, 2009

The minimal lifestyle

Living in my Heather-sized flat in Essex, I have the opportunity to stay minimalized in possessions. Coming over from Germany, I took the chance to cull out anything which did not please me or no longer fit my lifestyle--clothing, dishes, books, etc. with the idea that I would replace anything I eventually missed. Now, being in a smaller space, there's no chance to purchase anything new unless something is outgoing. It's somewhat of a pleasant, de-cluttered feeling.

4 comments:

Gracey said...

I agree! Having spent 4 months as an exchange student in Prague, I realised just how little I need to be happy and manage to spend the day, and also that too many things can become a terrible burden.

Now, after several moves and days of the "where will all this go" horror, I avoid to buy too many items. In fact, if all my possesssions could fit into 2 luggages, so I could move from one place to another that easily, I would be delighted!

Laura said...

We just moved to a new apartment and although we do have more space, there's nothing like moving to help you realize you have too much stuff! Things I have not used in 5 years and don't see using in the future, I would rather give away to someone who might! Laura in Germany

J said...

Same with me in my newish place. I actually sort of like not having closets. That forces me to not keep anything I don't need.

heather in europe said...

Gracey: 'Too many things can become a terrible burden'--how very true.

Laura in Germany: Indeed, a move will help you to realize the idea of too much stuff--physically carting the stuff around really drives it home...

J: Where do you put the skeltons then?