Tuesday, July 07, 2009

My commute

Is a 30-35 minute walk of 2.03 miles, 75% of which is through the park system, the remainder being sidewalks. I find it to be the perfect start and end to the work day. My old commute in Germany was 4 kilometers over sidewalks but the most direct route was also the most direct auto route so it was a constant stream of BMWs in the morning and evening. I find this one to be a more agreeable, although I may switch to the main thoroughfare and avoid the park once winter sets in and it's dark and with few people.

Right now it's interesting to observe the people coming and going; I have a reverse commute in that I'm heading toward the city outskits from the center while others are coming in for their jobs or the train station. It's a great mix of people being creative--today I saw a man in full suit, perhaps 40 or so, on a skateboard. Usually bicycles or scooters are the mode of transport when not on foot. For now I'm sticking with walking as I think it gives a decent form of exercise and the distance doesn't justify a bicycle (at this point) for me.

2 comments:

J said...

Stop lying to yourself. You know you want a bike! Go for it!

:)

heather in europe said...

J: the Dutch bike came along, but I love it too much to leave it outside and the only other option is to haul it up/down four flights of stairs each time I take it out. :-(