I previously had thoughts on the German medical system. As we know, Heather in Europe grew up under-insured in America where medical care was an unnecessary luxury. These habits permeate my thinking today; old habits die hard.
Thursday afternoon, I came to the sudden realization that Monday's issue was allergies. It was only after a mixture of sunny and rainy days, and feeling great on the rainy days that I realized this--duh. This is too early for allergy problems for me. Although--I've been told that what I have will get worse with age, it's only appeared during my graduate university years and progressively worsened since living over here, so it's anybody's guess at this point.
Wanting to grab the bull by the horns (and because I conked out from my America allergy drugs for 11 hours), I figured it best to take steps toward seeing a doctor. I looked up the closest one on the NHS website and called them on Thursday. A very nice woman on the phone answered that they are taking new patients from my part of town, and that I would need to show up in person to register and provide my passport and proof of address. Oki doki.
So I took my housemate along for moral support (and because he should have previously been registered in any event and was not yet) and showed up today.
Him: Hi, we recently moved to the area and need to register.
Her: OK, do you have your NHS card?
Him: I don't have mine, and she never had one.
Me: I only arrived in February.
Her: Well you didn't take long. Did I speak with you yesterday on the phone?
Me: Yes, that was me.
(I LOVE my corner of Essex, that people recognize 'the American'!)
Her: My son is marrying an American, they're coming here in the summer.
Me: Really?!
Her: Yes, he works in Chicago, I knew this would happen. But he comes home, that's the important part. And he's happy...
OK, you both need to fill out these forms. And did you bring proof of ID?
Me: (Good Lord, I lived in Germany--I brought along at least five pounds of paper.) Yes! Here is my passport and the work permit page...here is my NI number letter with my address...is that OK? Or I have my payslip with my address....or my work contract with my address....or.....or....
Her: Yes, the NI letter should suffice.
So off we go to fill out papers. As we're filling out forms, I'm half listening with an idle ear.
-no one was asked for any insurance card or paper or payment.
-the lady was very nice to everyone who called, there were two openings today that she offered to people trying to get in.
-one older woman walked in with a cut that wasn't healing well, she was asked to come back later in the day when there was an opening so a doctor could look at it.
So we turned in the papers. I mentioned about coming in at some point with the allergies and the woman asked if I could wait until next week, until they get me set up in the computer with a number? Yes, of course. She had handed me some office introduction materials. They aim to see everyone who wants an appointment within two days of request. In the US I've had to wait over six weeks in some offices. AND you're not going to charge me for this? (Ok, ok, so I'm paying for it through taxes...)
Friday, May 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This cracked me up:
"I lived in Germany--I brought along at least five pounds of paper."
Too true!
The NHS seems as user-friendly as the German system, but with friendly people too.
J: I don't think I'll ever lose the 'paper' habit. :-/
Post a Comment