Sunday, May 03, 2009

In case I'm missing Germany while living in the UK

No problem, I only need to drive 7 minutes to go to this one:

Or Aldi is 10 minutes in the opposite direction. See the sale advert on the wall next to the door? Just like in Germany.

Did you bring your change to get a cart? You don't need it for Asda, Tesco or any other UK supermarket chain, but you need it here:

The layout of the store is similar to the ones I've seen in DE. A row of beverages/candy, with dairy along the back. Selection here does seem a little different. I had to check out the two websites. I see Greek week is coming up in DE, not so in the UK. Although both are offering bicycle clothing right now.

Oh look--Schnittlaunch and Petersilie, and the little signs are in the same font/style as in DE. Cheaper! (Billiger!)


I had popped in after work on Friday, which is something I wouldn't do so quickly in Germany, just because I know the store would be packed with people buying a full cartload of items. Here, people were coming in just for a handful of things. (Although, they have competition next door from the low cost frozen foods place.)

Well, here's an improvement, I don't recall 'Butter Toffee' Popcorn in DE:


So we're continuing to propagate the myth of 'American Style' Pizza.

Overall--it's always good to have options, but it won't be on my regular rotation. Although it wasn't in DE either, as I preferred Pennymarkt or Aldi Sued there. Still to come in the UK--Aldi.

2 comments:

J said...

What? No bbq chicken pizza?

heather in europe said...

J: Being a vegetarian, I didn't notice. OK, ok, so it's not the right place for you to move. ;-)