Don't worry, only for a week. ;-) I have a loose agreement with the office, to come back on an 'as needed' basis, which I'm hoping bottoms out to once per quarter. I've taken the first two plus months here to detox from everything I didn't like about the country and to be taken over by life in the UK.
Being out of that environment makes it a little easier to see the positives of life there (which tended to be overshadowed for me by the shouting, bumping cranks breathing down your neck in the supermarket queue, which wasn't a queue as much as a free-for-all.)
(Sidenote--I've been bumped into only three times in the UK so far, twice at the London marathon, and all three times people apologized. Ho ho ho how life is different here.)
So my work colleagues have been asking more than once, so back I go. I've been querying my work colleagues to make sure that everyone is around, and to try to arrange some small visits, in particular, I'm arranging my schedule around my German hair stylist and my English student.
I'm staying the Friday night and leaving Saturday morning so that we can get a proper drink up in place involving Koelsch and maybe some veg burgers on the bbq. I've already put in my request for Gaffel which was, of course, met with resistence.
German Colleague: Pfui! Gaffel!
H: Ja, ja, you'll have the Reissdorf.
GC: Of course.
H: (thinking) So you're a meat eater who will eat exclusively veg meals with me, but God forbid I ask you to bring another Koelsch brand into the house. ;-)
If you're in the Cologne/D'dorf area June 14-18--let me know if you want to meet up in the evening after work. I haven't yet booked those flights, so if you want to host me and humor me the night of Saturday, June 13th, I'll come in a night earlier. ;-)
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You couldn't have picked a worse week! That's the main exam season week and I'm working long hours every day including Saturday.
J: I hear you. :-(
How about the week before...?
Post a Comment