
I spent a few days snacking on them raw in the office, by themselves and mixed with strawberries. I sent them through the magic bullet to puree them into a fruit spread. Then I realized I needed to do something with the remained 1 pint plus, as their shelf life is limited and there are still more to pick. So onto preservation methods and more harvesting. What to do when you have a tiny little German freezer and no possibility of canning this year?
I tried drying them, to make homemade fruit leather. That came out pretty well, I spread the pureed mixture into a pan in the oven, drying it, cutting it into strips which I stored in glass bottles.
Then I tried drying individual berries, so that I could fling a few onto my musli in the winter. That worked pretty well also, so into glass jars went the individual dried berries.
The leaves were dried for tea.
I tried to freeze the pureed version into ice cube trays, which I dumped into a freezer bag once frozen. As I don't have much freezer space so I couldn't go too heavily into this option. However, I plan to use the little concentrated cubes in yogurt on on top of ice cream perhaps.
The very nice retired couple stopped on their way back on Sunday to chat. They brought up the topic, and gut reaction, I was expecting some sort of German negativity, about how one shouldn't pick the wild berries (as I'm sure they spied me coming or going on these adventures, they miss nothing). Although then again, they seem to think I'm a frugal American who is always picking cardboard boxes out of the big paper recycle bin (for ebay packaging), as well as eating off my balcony grown efforts, so foraging for berries probably wouldn't surprise them.
Herr K. leans in to make sure no one else is listening to this conversation...you know, these blackberries...(here we go)...they're ok...but up the street, I go to a secret place, they are bigger...you know what we do with blackberries....(dude, I'm out of ideas, so I'll take any at this point)...we put them in bottles! Homemade Liqueurs. 'Schnapps!' says Frau K. '25% blackberry schnapps'. We've done 13 bottles so far this year. Six months in the cellar, turn them once per month, and we'll be ready to go before summer comes back.
I am such a blackberry amateur, that option never crossed my mind. Hmm...
6 comments:
Funny. I thought only people in Europe pick wild berries. My husband always yells at me when I am doing it here:)
Lovely post, Heather! There is the most enormous row of blackberry hedges where I park my bike at our rehearsal building, and we often stop to graze before and after the rehearsals... my girlfriend is one of those people who will eat anything that grows in the ground and she often carries an empty tub or two with her for such eventualities.
Your flat is probably small, but Saturn sells a really nice little freezer (30" per side) for around €100.. for Single Person households quite a good investment.
But I like the idea of the schnapps even more.
bek: Now that I've started to keep an eye out for berry pickers, I've noticed quite a few here.
vailian: thanks for the freezer tip. i think i would also like the schnapps better. :-)
WOW. That looks real good! Wish I could do that in Singapore.
nashe* - maybe it requires a visit to Europe sometime in the late summer once. :-)
Post a Comment