So I trotted up the road to German class yesterday, impressed that they haven't cancelled the course, to a lovely littly building which I had never been inside. Not sure what else it holds besides the local VHS, but it has large poster-size prints of the tiny town of B in its heydey (approx 1910?).
A few minutes before 18.30 I wander into the room where there was only a teacher. She says, are you Ms. xxx? um, yes. Oh, good. We can wait a few minutes for the others, so then I don't need to repeat myself. Oki doki.
At 18.31 she says, well, there are supposed to be three students in total, but perhaps we chat for a few minutes since I do not know you yet, so that I hear your German. Okay.
At 18.45 she starts to sweat. Oh dear. Usually if a student does not arrive on time on the first day, then the student will not come. And I'm not sure if they will keep the class then. (insert crinkled brow and hand wringing.)
So we carry on since we're already here. She had brought along five copies of practice tests. Now I started to feel a little bad. She teaches at the VHS for enjoyment and they called her in at the last minute to teach this one, she belongs to another VHS affiliated in the triumvirate with b. Her children are older, she teaches disabled children in the morning. And here she's stuck with only me, and really I was only taking this course for fun, it's not like I must take/pass the test. And here she is all prepared with copies and planned exercises and her cd player for the verbal listening section and hoping for five students.
To her credit she mustered on. I follow along, filling in blanks, matching things, doing true/falses, reading aloud, etc. It was actually a pleasant experience, and she confirmed my suspicion. I could take the test tomorrow and pass it. With the course I'd probably make it a higher pass, or she suggested that I instead aim instead for the B2 test. We ended 20 minutes early, which considering it was basically a two hour private lesson was just fine. Toward the end she brought in bonbons from her car, (she had stopped at Aldi Sued on the way in to pick them up.) She explained that she would speak to the coordinator, that maybe they would call the two missing students, but that the VHS would probably call me to cancel.
So today my phone rings. It's the VHS and they want to cancel. But it wasn't that course, but the Thursday pronunciation one I had signed up for with the other VHS. So assuming this course also cancels, I will be without a German course for the fall. At this point I give up. I don't want to go all the way to K or D'dorf, and only one in between offers only long Oct-Mar courses.
Thus ends the Great German Experiment 2008.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I admire your persistence.. I took one VHS German course when I first came to Cologne, but the teacher was much too interested in hearing about my work to really correct my grammar.
Oh well, I manage to get by, my verbal German is quite adequate and my voice is non-threatening, and if I really need Offical German I can have it checked by friends. (Who usually end up giggling, "The grammar is not really perfect, but it sounds so much like YOU!"
Sorry lady!
vailian: i trust those are female persons doing the giggling. ;-)
diane: so it goes...
Post a Comment