Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"Don't tell them to grow up and out of it"

I work at a company where a good chunk of the business (and profits) comes from the manufacturing line. As a result many manufacturing related practices appear on the business side, such as Six Sigma, are utilized. Another facet is that people operations are very compartmentalized and modular as opposed to other companies where people changes would require a softer touch.

In my first three years with this company we moved offices four times. One time, I knew we were moving again in four months, so I did not bother to unpack. I just packed carefully so that they things I would need for four months would be at the top of the box. Once my colleague went on a three week vacation knowing that we would be moving in three months. He came back to find us long gone. He had to call someone to come fetch him at reception as he didn't know where to find us.

This time we're at it again as they juggle space to maximize usage. However, it currently looks like the threat they've had for a long time, to get us out of this office complex is finally coming true. Officially we belong to another business unit than the one we sit with, so it makes sense that we would be the easiest to pick off. Therefore, they are not so particular about where they send us, it's not like someone else wants us to bring us somewhere, just that we're being asked to leave.

Interestingly, perhaps because I'm not German and I do not plan to spend my entire life here, or maybe because my local friends/family is non-existent, I don't really see this as a bad thing. There is a lot of office stress right now, and this info has only been released in a limited circle in the hopes that the move can be alleviated and unnecessary stress avoided.

The two options currently being kicked around (where we have other offices with extra space):
1. W - to the northeast of B by 30 min, a large city of around 350 k people and its own main train station, although the office is a 10 minute busride from there. The commute from D'dorf hbf with train and bus would be 35 min.
2. G - to the northwest and further away (one hour), a city that is actually smaller than the tiny town of B. it has no local train station and is 45 min by car from D'dorf.

Perhaps interestingly, if given a choice from the above, G is actually more interesting to me. Primarily because it is only 15 minutes from the Dutch border my trips over the border would become easier. Even further, I could actually live in the Netherlands and work in Germany instead of live and work here. It's also close to some of the off-peak airports, which means those that get the cheap flights, as from RyanAir. Hmm, perhaps THAT isn't an advantage. ;-)

2 comments:

J said...

That's interesting. I find that most Germans don't leave their villages when their jobs are transferred a long distance (more than 100km or so) so the Germans you work with are lucky.

As far as living in Holland goes, would you really consider that? Do you think it would make a big difference?

heather in europe said...

j: if you were given the option of all things being held equal in your job, except it would move to, say, 15 min from the Polish border, would you choose to live in DE? i've actually considered Holland or Belgium for my current job as it's an hour commute to the office and people do it each day, but one hour in the car for me is too much...