In the tiny town of B. where I live, it's a little like Mr. Rodger's neighborhood. Everyone knows everyone else, and people stop to chat when they see each other. I lived 15 months in Koeln and knew only the people who ran my local bar; otherwise, I was just a face in the crowd in the supermarket, the dry cleaners, the fruit/veg market, pizza place, etc. Not here in B.
Here in B. everyone has a role and they are known by it, just like in Mr. Rodger's neighborhood. Hello Turkish Pizza shop owner! Hello Seamstress! Hello Retired Neighbor! My role is to be the American foreigner. I actually go into shops here and people say 'hello American!' Apparently I am the only American in B. which may very well be, although there are quite a few foreigners of other nationalities here working for the company where I work.
One of the highlights of my day is seeing Mr. Dog who I have written about in the past. It's now pretty regular, each morning when I scrape into the office at 08:45 it's just the time that the Post Frau is completing her morning route and about to leave company J. She always gives a friendly wave and a hello as we pass or a toot of the horn and wave if she is in her delivery vehicle and I am on foot en route to the office.
Recently, I have noticed that Mr. Dog has not been accompanying her on the route. I passed by her in the main entrance and of course she stopped to chat because everyone stops to chat in B. I asked about Mr. Dog and she explained he has a bit of 'Verzagtheit'. OK, outside my German vocabulary. So she takes the time to explain in simple German--the weather outside--it's bad, it's cold, it's rainy, it makes him tired and it is not fun for him to come along. And further, the couch inside is warm and comfortable, so he prefers to stay at home and sleep.
Later, I asked Leo, the best online German dictionary in the world. It seems that Mr. Dog is despondent, disheartened, down-hearted, and of weak spirit. Oh dear! Such is a dog's life in Germany.
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment