In the office
Heather: How do i save a voicemail?
-->(nevermind that's she's been using the same phone for three years--she's phone techonology inept.)
German: Moment
--> (efficiently whipping out the magic instructions from hiding place in the office. Nevermind that the same German has also been using said phones for three years.)
Heather waits 30 seconds.
Heather: I think I can just hang up, it will auto-save.
German2: Yes
German: Press star 7 6.
Heather: No, that's delete. That's the only one I know.
German: Star 7 6.
German2 now looks over the shoulder of German.
Heather: Nevermind, I think it timed me out anyway.
German: A-ha! Star 7 6 to un-do a delete.
Heather: Swell, the same thing to delete and un-delete. But what's a save?
German2: Just hang up. (Keep in mind German 2 has only been here six months, so he's running circles around our phone knowledge here.)
Heather: Why must this phone system be so complex. I'm glad you--a German--can't figure out the German phone.
German: This phone is not German; Nortel is American.
Heather: Nortel is not an American company.
German2: It's Swedish.
German and Heather (simultaneously): No, it's not.
German starts fervently typing. Heather knows very well that he's looking for Nortel online.
German: Ha!
Heather: OK, so what is it?
German: Toronto, Ontario. (pause) That's Canada?
Heather: Yes, that's Canada. So not America. (smirking because she's got him.)
German hating to be wrong.
German: Well, close enough, it might as well be America.
Heather: I'm not sure our neighbors to the North would exactly see it that way since they are their own country.
(Heather makes mental note. Maybe this is the equivalent of me mixing up the Germans and Dutch.)
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Actually, I'd say that Germans hate being wrong.
Post a Comment