Sunday, February 04, 2007

Movie Review - Unser Täglich Brot

I rarely watch movies, (no matter where I am), but today D. and I saw Unser Täglich Brot at Filmpalette in Koeln. It's a documentary without commentary about industrial food production in Europe. STOP reading HERE if you plan to see the movie and don't want to be tainted by my below thoughts until after seeing it. ;-)

Overall, I found it to be very honest and neutral in its presentation. If you look at the film's website link above, don't be put off from the film that on first glance it seems like a PETA advert with the meat preparation photos shown. The film probably spends 60% of the time on cows, chicken, and pork, with 10% on fish and the remaining 30% on fruits/veg processing, and all is presented in a daily, matter of fact way, not sensationalized.

I would be interested to find anyone who does not learn something new from this film. D. and I were discussing post-film, there are many food preparations/methods/farm machines, that we did not know existed; as well as trying to comprehend the vast amounts of food that is prepared on a large scale. When you see how Aldi, Pennymarkt, and Plus sell fruit and vegetables in their shrinkwrapped packaging, it's easy to make the connection to this film when you see the women packing them into the containers of six, just like they sell it there.

If you live in Europe, I'd call it a must see.

No comments: