Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Update on the garden side hustle: Round 1 strawberries

I mentioned before, I'd put a few plants out on ebay and come what may. Strawberries in the bigbox retailers in my corner of Essex sell for between .50 p and 1 gbp per plant. I grouped a few together to see what would happen and listed two lots. Both lots had over 10 watchers and 10 and 7 bids. I finally ended up with a sales price that averaged around .45 p/plant, with 17 plants out the door.

One set went a few hours north by post, the other set was a local pickup in my corner of Essex. (No one else was listing strawberries within 25 miles, so I had the market cornered a bit.)

The fellow stopped by this evening to pick them up. Bla bla, they have a container garden. And the usual question for me, 'if you don't mind my asking, where are you from?' He then mentioned that his wife is from Russia, and that she is their strawberry expert.

This statement from him, with wonderment:
So I'm in the middle of downtown (my corner of Essex), buying strawberries that were grown on a roof, by an American! Who would have ever imagined that?

Who would have imagined that my strawberries were going to live with a Russian in the UK? In addition, he was mentioning that they enter some kind of garden contest and placed last year...so they're hoping that these home grown ones do the trick this year.

Super. :-) Total strawberry profit today? Around 7 gbp after reducing for paypal and ebay fees.

No comments: