Saturday, February 19, 2011

detox week - let the games begin

During February, I've found myself getting into a bit of a rut, work has been toxic and the weather here has been grey for days upon end. Normally, I shake things up a bit with my 'alcohol-free January', but this year, most of December and January were inadvertently alcohol free due to the flu and then my law papers which were handed in on Jan 31, so I didn't have time for leisure, anyway.

I woke up this morning thinking, 'as I missed my proper January, maybe it's time for a bit of a detox.' When I don't feel well, I tend to 1. go vegan and 2. give up the alcohol. I should probably add a '3. go for more, longer walks' to that as well. Something I struggle with here in the UK is the amount of cheese in veg foods. Although, I've been attempting to introduce a bit of fish into my diet as the UK does have locally sourced fish. However, in some ways that has been a bit of my downfall...in the Philly area, we don't specialise in fish, so I'm unfamiliar to any fish variety beyond Mrs. Paul's fish sticks (on a Friday night, naturally). So in an attempt to familiarise myself with what certain varieties of fish are supposed to taste like, I've been eating a lot more 'processed' or 'prepared' foods under the heading of 'research'.

However, I fully believe, that when you set a goal and have the vision to stick to it, the universe will help you to meet it.

I stopped by my local Lakeland today, on my 'fresh air' walk. If you don't live in the UK, Lakeland is a crazy expensive kitchen boutique store, which sells top of the line merchandise. Their customer service is second to none. For my US friends, this would equate to 'the Nordstrom's of kitchen supply stores'. As expected, their pricing reflects this service level.

However, I always pop in to see their 'dent and scratch' section. They have a 'no questions asked' return policy and anything that is not perfect, even if it is only the outside carboard packaging is heavily discounted.

Lo and behold, the universe thinks that I need a juicer. It has stated that opinion by offering me one at half price:

I liked my juicer in Germany a lot. However, space was limited when I came over here, and I always wanted to expand my juicing option, to do more than just citrus fruits. This 'absolutely new in box' discontinued bargain will enable me to make juice from apples (my favourite) and carrots (plentiful and cheap here in my corner of Essex).

Something else on the shelf was a slow cooker. I've never owned one, but I've eyed them up in charity shops, but they were always too gigantic. This little gem is 1.5 litres, and half off due to a 'slight blemish on the internal ceramic pot'. When I looked at it, the manufacturing dent of sorts was there, on the outside of the ceramic pot, the bit that you do not see as it is encased inside the metal heating element. Perfect for me to try this one out, to see if I like slow cooking...

I do like lentils and soups, and there are plenty of slow cooker fish recipes, actually, using non-breaded, non-processed fish, so I'm hoping this one will be a winner.


And for dinner tonight:


Kicking things off on the right foot, a salad (the photo is deceiving, it was actually bigger than it looks). Inside we have:
  • a lettuce mix from Tesco, I'm a big fan of this particular one, it has young leaves, spinach, and some fresh herbs in there. 1.50/bag, this was about 1/3 of the bag
  • tomatos from M&S, marked down to 2 gbp, this was around 1/8 of the box (from Spain)
  • 2/3 of a marked down avocado from M&S - .50p for the entire avocado
  • 2 spring onions, from a marked down bunch in Tesco
  • a sprinkling of black pepper and dried oregano
  • a swig of olive oil

I'll try to post further thoughts this week, on this detox adventure...

No comments: