Tuesday, February 15, 2011

From the rooftop garden: garlic

I try to keep garlic always outside and growing; not only do I like fresh garlic and the greens from it, Slocombe the cat loves to chop the greens down to the dirt level. She does a little better with the garlic than with regular grass digestion-wise, so further reason to encourage garlic eating by growing more of it. For the record commercial grown 'kitty-grass' seems to bore her, so garlic it is.

I have one garlic bulb left from the fall's rooftop production, I noticed that some of the cloves were starting to sprout. As the weather was warm, I went outside and filled up two recycled pots with dirt from the compost pile and placed the cloves in it, and put them on my kitchen window. After about a week, I had this:
Peeking inside the tall one, it looks like I have some stowawy seeds tucked in there from the compost pile, and they like the kitchen window temps too:

(My guess on those is that they are tomato seedlings based on the looks of them, but we'll see.)
My re-purposed plastic growing container was a 1 litre fizzy water container, check out how the roots have so quickly grown to the bottom:
On the side hustle prospects: garlic plants do sell on ebay, but not for so much. It's only worth one's while if you are propogating from 'free' stock like I am. As well, garlic is one of the easier things to grow in a garden, in general, just drop the cloves into the ground and wait.
These plants however, are all for me, as long as I can keep them on the windowsill and away from Slocombe's attention. :-)

No comments: