Sunday, January 06, 2008

Heather's new toy

Before:

After:

You'll notice the disappearance of Mr. Coffee Thermos in the second photo. He was frightened by the loud grinding noise and the occasional splatter of juice. The photo of the juice in the second photo really doesn't do it justice as you can't really see the color mixture of the basic orange with the red bits of the blood orange speckled throughout.

Since I came back from the US and shifted into flu mode, I've been extra careful to eat well these past few days. Shortly before I left for the US, I bought this handy little machine at Pennymarkt (damn them and their low, low prices!).

I've considered going all out and getting a mega juicer that does fruits and vegetables, but as a vegetarian, I have vegetables all day long, and fruit consumption is where I've been lacking.

Since living in Germany, I've become accustomed to fresh-squeezed, natural, no sugar added, not from concentrate, relatively inexpensive juice. It severely pained me during the two weeks in the US to pay Wholefoods prices to get the same level of juice.

One juice that I particularly like actually comes from a Carrefour in Belgium, where I don't have an opportunity to go so often. It's made with:
7 oranges
2 mandarins
.25 lime

I used the above as a basis to start and then modified a bit. I've been avoiding mandarins, since Mausi's post a while back, so I didn't have any on hand. From my local Turkish market, I used:
2 oranges
1 blood orange
.5 lime (I'm a big fan of limes)

All told, a worthwhile investment of time, effort, and money.

1 comment:

J said...

sorry you have the flu. Get well soon.