As a second follow-up, after getting a male perspective on the frugal egg post, I wanted to get a female opinion as well. I have two colleagues who work in the front office at benevolent company J. As it's an international company, both have exposure to many people of other lands, and while both have visited other countres, neither has lived abroad. I wouldn't try to guess ages, but the one's oldest child is 30, while the other's oldest child is 20.
H: Hi ladies, I need a UK female perspective. (I regularly do this sort of thing to them--is this dress correct to wear to this UK occasion, is this the correct response to x here, etc.)
What do you think of this egg carton? (Bringing out the now famous one.)
C1: HA!
C2: Hold on, I need to get out my reading glasses...tsk! Naughty! (smirk)
C1: Is this from the US?
H: No, it's from here.
C1: No! How funny.
C2: They were clever.
C1: Fab!
H: So would you purposely buy or not buy these eggs?
C2: If the price was right, I'd buy them, it wouldn't sway me either way, it's just advertising. How much did you pay?
H: 61 p, marked down as they were at the 'best buy' date.
C1: good deal, 10 p an egg.
H: I know!
C2: (pondering) You know....this was created by a man.
C1: Oooooh, definitely.
H: How do you know?
C2: A female wouldn't come up with this way to market eggs.
C1: Don't you know it!
H: Really?
C2: (Now holding the box) Where are these from? Suffolk. Do they have a website H?
H: None that I could find.
C2: Hmmm.
H: So what would a female have said instead?
C2: Something more subtle, still with a double-meaning, but not so forward.
C1: Yes.
C2: Like 'we're fresh' or 'fresh today' or something like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Funny enough I followed up yesterday with one of my female friends/colleagues in the UK, and when I told her about the egg carton she laughed.
When I asked her if there was anything offensive about it, she said no.
When I pushed her on the subject and described the debate, she had further comments -- I don't recall the specific wording, but she wasn't impressed that anybody was offended by the wording. There were also some other things said that surprised me--although maybe it fits in with that general notion that too many Americans are prudish, myopic, and self-centered as well as excessively politically correct.
The woman in question has had significant international experience including a stint living in Berlin during the Cold War. She's originally from Scotland and has lived in England for the last 9 or 10 years.
Post a Comment