Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cosmic irony

In my early university years, I studied literature (English and Spanish). One of my favorite literary terms was 'cosmic irony', which according to Wikipedia is

'the notion that the gods (or the Fates) are amusing themselves by toying with the minds of mortals with deliberate ironic intent'

An example of cosmic irony:
Last year on February 14th, Heather was done packing and was celebrating the sweet feeling of freedom that was coming from knowing it was her last night as a resident in Germany and was so terribly looking forward to starting life in the UK.

this year on Febrary 14th, Heather is packing to catch a flight in four hours--from the UK to Germany for a week of working there.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm not sure I have a favorite English expression or word, but one of my favorites in German is schadenfreude (sp?). I always knew there was that concept, but I love how they coined a word for it :D

J said...

hahahahaha!