Apparently, at the D'dorf Airport, they don't have native English speaking colleagues or they think their English is super just the way it is:

(If you want to see this fine sign yourself, this photo was taken in the car rental parking structure, on the 4th floor next to the elevators.)
However, we failed to find the so named 'confidence tricksters'.
(Yes, I realize I'm in Germany so I should be grateful that I'm seeing a sign in English. And if I was at a non-profit institution with a shoestring budget or a government office where all activities were conducted in German, I'd be a little more forgiving. However, this English is amazingly poor for an international airport when you consider that other airports are able to produce correct signage in four or five languages.)
6 comments:
You clearly weren't paying attention.
You're being unduly critical here. There's only one mistake here, and that is "trickster" should be plural.
The term confidence trickster is a bit antiquated, but it does exist. Don't forget con man is short for confidence man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_trick
Great capture! That last comment was by me, by the way. I made a typo too, so I'm reposting this ;-)
If had they asked me to help translate this to English, I think I would have chosen instead 'swindlers' or even 'crooks.' It seems to me these are more commonly used than a 'trickster.' What would you have chosen?
This photo is a good entry for Engrish's website, under their Engrish From Other Countries category for their singular use typo:
http://www.engrish.com/category/engrish-from-other-countries/
Wow, that really is bad. You think they could have found *someone* in the whole airport who speaks the lingo properly.
Jeff must have missed the "pay attention to" part which is also kind of odd unless your luggage has been feeling neglected lately. :-)
I think I'd use the more modern term "con artists" as a translation for Trickbetrüger.
MiGrant: Must try harder! That trickster is hiding somewhere...
Jeff: We should probably check with the TricksterAmt, D'dorf may only have been issued one.
But seriously, on a sign in a public place where the purpose is to convey information to a population of travellers who may have neither German nor English as a first language, I'm not sure that antiquated English is the best option, grammar aside.
A Touch of Dutch: Too funny, that site recommendation. I think I would have gone with 'con artists' or the more general 'crooks'.
christina: interesting comment on the german part. And my luggage is in no way feeling neglected recently, although overworked maybe. ;-)
I agree too with 'con-artists.' This is a good one!
Post a Comment