Monday, February 22, 2010

An update on the Orthokeratology adventure

A little while back, I mentioned that I was trying orthokeratology. Since a few asked for an update I thought I'd give one here as well as answer the comments people left on the first post. As of tomorrow, it will be three weeks since this experiment started.

From G in Berlin: Is it new, or Europe based, or perhaps my severe astigmatism and near-sightedness did not make it an option? Did you need to fall into a certain range to do it?
It's been around since the 1960's although my UK eye guy was saying that it has had recent increased popularity here in the UK due to some newer lenses on the UK market and as well it had received approval from the US FDA which increased its profile internationally in the eye world. There was a range one had to be within on both the vision and astigmatism, something like -6.00 and -1.50, but don't quote me on that.

And do the hard lenses hurt and is there any issue of oxygen starvation to the eye?
The eye guy mentioned that the older version of lenses did have some issues, but that the current ones on the market are much improved so that oxygen starvation is not an issue in his book.

When I first put them in, it was more irritation than hurt, and my eyes started to tear up, almost like I had a bit of dust or something in them. After the second night, however it wasn't so noticeable, and I figured out to go right to bed, where they were ok when I wasn't looking all around.

This morning, I had a minor moment of freaking out when I thought that I had forgotten to put them in, they are now that unnoticed.

From J: Aren't the hard lenses uncomfortable when you're sleeping?
I had done the overnight soft lenses before so maybe I'm biased based on already having that experience, but I would say no, they're not uncomfortable for sleeping. Not sure what I would say if I didn't go through that learning experience with the soft ones. if anything, it was a bigger deal for me to be able to get them in and out, it's such a different experience than soft lenses.

From Jen: Let us know how it works. I can recommend Lasik.
(cringe!) Just the very thought of that freaks me out, the idea that one must be awake for that. But everyone whom has done it has made a similar comment as yours. I realize it's a nice solution, but give me a few glasses of wine before you tell me how they did yours.

Overall, only three weeks into it and I've been pleasantly pleased. I had a few really short nights in DE last week, going to bed at 1 and getting up at 7, so I wasn't sure how that would work, if I would be under-corrected or if it wouldn't last as long or anything like that...I didn't notice any difference than when I am in the UK getting eight or more hours of sleep.

I've gotten half decent at taking the lenses in and out. It's under a minute in either direction, so that is ok. There was some 'star-bursting' or 'ghosting' as they call it, at night, in that lighting would not be sharp or crisp, this has gradually diminished to a less noticeable point.

If I had it to do over would I do it again? Yes, definitely. As long as it continues in this direction, I will continue to carry on with it.

1 comment:

jen said...

the lasik took 45 seconds per eye and they give you valuim. you can see blurry right after and I saw perfectly the next day.

The anxiety was WAY worse than the procedure. WAY, WAY worse.

the whole thing from the time they walked me in to the time they walked me to the car was 5 minutes.

I'm happy this one is working for you. Way less stress!