
I rarely buy full price eggs anymore. I had purchased these on Feb 2nd in the morning and they were down to half price. If one waits longer, they'll go to 75 or 90% off. My only requirement is that I only do free range eggs anymore. These have the added bonus of being produced in Suffolk, a neighboring area near to Essex.
When I get a great egg deal I usually fry and then freeze them on the day of purchase, although others put them raw in an ice cube tray and freeze. Then I carry on with my egg stock when the deals aren't coming.
36 comments:
Yeah, I see misogynist humor everywhere. It's quite easy to find in the US, although usually not on the egg cartons.
I sometimes freeze eggs too, ut geerally we use them up quite quickly, I only freeze when I'm makng angel food, or something that leaves me out of whack on the yolk/white side.
G: in time it will make it to DE egg cartons too...
Heather -- that is absolutely positively funny! It'd make me buy the eggs...
As for misogynist -- it's defined as "reflecting or inspired by a hatred of women" -- I'm not clear how this reflects or is inspired by a hatred of women? I like to get laid -- I suspect a lot of women like to get laid... Could you please explain how it is misogynist?
Wish I could say the same! JK
Because, Adam: to be laid is passive tense. The implication is that it is something done to one, not something that one does. In addition, this is using sex to sell a product. I don't need sex to buy an egg. I buy free-range eggs for moral and health issues.
G - I think you are mistaken. "Laid" seems passive, but the way I hear it used (e.g. "I got laid last night") when used by men (including me) is pretty active.
I don't think sex is a passive thing--unless you want it to be passive (that is to say some people honestly like having some dominate aggressive stud drag their... oh wait, lets ignore my desires). As long as sex is consensual, I don't see how the phrase is passive.
Would you prefer that people use blunter terms, say like the f-word?
I'm perfectly willing to let you choose another brand of eggs because you don't want to see sex used to sell eggs (keeping in mind that eggs are part of a sexual process). I would argue that this is merely a slightly titillating example of clever word play -- honestly I'd never thought about it before, but yes--laid can be used to describe a sex act and it can also be used to describe how eggs appear out of chickens.
Meanwhile I think that you still do not appreciate the definition of misogynist here: it's defined as "reflecting or inspired by a hatred of women" --getting laid does not reflect and is not inspired by a hatred of women--not even when it's two gay guys getting laid without a woman.
I'm glad to see that people are still here reading even after my dormant phase, thanks for that!
I feel a new series coming on..."British humor, offensive or clever?" There's certainly enough examples in this country for us to chew on...stay tuned!
Misogynist? Because, um, this (male?) egg is out having sex with female eggs while secretly hating them? Or perhaps this egg is a female who hates herself every time she has sex with... ? Frankly, I'm having a hard time imagining egg sex, whether there's hatred involved or not.
But I think the package is super funny.
I got laid last night- I got sex last night. Not I was an egg laid last night. Generally, in at least my part of the US, used to mean that I got a girl drunk and had sex with her semi-conscious body. Wow, what a stud I am. Am I the only person who hears that? Perhaps it's a function of my age or the schools I went to?
In any case, egg laying is not a sexual process: no roosters required and in fact no roosters wanted. The humor is a result of this male looking egg talking about cheap (and saying cheep is just a cheap laugh) casual sex. The humor comes from the patriarchal rape culture which makes this type of behaviour something that males notch up, and give thumbs up to each other for. The very basis of this humor is misogynistic.
I get that you don't agree Adam- we have this disagreement on other issues as well. I would assume you see homophobia more clearly, where I assure you that I see misogyny, sexism and antisemitism quite clearly, even where you may not.
G - What part of the United States are you from?! I've heard the phrase used as a point of pride by men, but none (or few) of the men I know have needed to get women drunk in order to get laid.
It's a bit problematic for me that you view sex as an act forced upon women by men--and that perhaps you've only met men who are that sleazy and disgusting. The men that I know, heterosexual and homosexual, do not need to get women (or men) drunk to get laid -- it might involve a glass of wine at dinner, or a beer at the bar, but the women have always been able to say no and have it mean no.
Sex is not a violent act upon women (except when it's rape), sex is something that is an active shared event--even amongst heterosexuals. I hear, but have not experienced, that women can be dominate aggressive in sexual relationships and essentially take control and do their male partner rather than their male partner doing them. These women talk about getting laid as well -- so again, I don't see how using the word "laid" is either passive or misogynist.
Finally I suspect that you see far more homophobia than I do, in addition to you seeing more misogyny, sexism and antisemitism than I do. This is because I don't seek it out--It chances upon me occasionally but I don't read newspapers looking for examples of it I don't surf the web looking for it.
I actually surf the web looking for... uh... I won't confess that here, but I won't be letting you or your children near my laptop in the near future.
I guess that's why I've never heard the phrase "I got laid" in any context other than a frat party or a crappy movie. "I had sex" was pretty common in my circles, used as a term for, you know, having sex. But I went to school before "hooking up" became standard and after AIDS (and herpes)started crimping free sex. But, you know, I lived in a coop which had regular orgies (optional,not mandatory)and no one there ever used the phrase "I got laid". Because a man who had used it wouldn't have fit in well with our vegetarian, granola, Birkenstock wearing lifestyle of equality between the sexes.
G- Not to belabor the point, but you never actually answered my direct, specific, question: Where in the US did you live? I want to know this because I'm always curious about language usage and experiences.
Instead you gave a very indirect answer about living in " a coop which had regular orgies" -- could you please be more specific? I don't recall having read a blog entry on your blog about this--if you wrote one, could you please point me to it? If you haven't, you ought to write a post about your experiences living in this coop--I think it would be educational and interesting for everybody who follows what you have to say.
That said, I also believe that you are reading way too much into the phrase "I got laid today" if you read it as misogynist. I'm still not certain that you've absorbed the definition, which I will repeat for clarity: It is "reflecting or inspired by a hatred of women" -- even if it's a dude saying "I had sex last night" (I got laid last night), I don't see how that reflects or is inspired by a hatred of women. Quite the contrary, if you ask me... (assuming a heterosexual context for this discussion.)
Lovers of rugs popular in the 1970s used to say to their hosts, My, what a great shag! and nobody got upset either.
Holy crap, this is one of the nuttiest comment threads I've ever read in all the internets....
According to Dictionary.com, the idiom "get laid" means "to have sexual intercourse". It doesn't say "to bang a helpless, drunken maiden fueled by maniacal hatred of the female form, often in the context of slimy frat boyz recalling their spoils from the night before."
To read misogyny into the term "get laid", says more about the over use of "misogyny" than the term. They're freakin' eggs, fer Christ's sake. It's just a cute, little double-entendre.
I'm posting with my husband's UMTC card. and with a German keyboard. so here is my quick answer>: below
Slang Dictionary
laid
mod.
and layed. drug intoxicated. (See also laid out.) : Man, did I get myself laid.
mod.
copulated with. (Usually objectionable.) : If you come home laid, don't say I didn't warn you.
Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.
Cite This Source
So even when something is used often. I don' t think that means it cannot be objectionable. Yes. I would prefer (with people) 'had sex'. I have never 'been laid'. although I have had sex. I hope no one I ever had sex with went home and told a friend that he had 'gotten laid'.
I don't understand. The eggs are intoxicated now? I still don't see how your slang dictionary definition suggests that this carton of eggs reflects a revulsion and hatred of women.
The way I see it, anyone that begins a comment with "Yeah, I see misogynist humor everywhere." either hangs out at truck stops a little too often or is trying to find misogyny anywhere and everywhere.
I think the thing with this sort of misogynist behaviour is that it is very difficult to object to it without seeming like a killjoy.
The problem is that sex is something which is often forced on women and whilst most men wouldn't do that, there are some that do. It does happen and not only in classical rape situations; there is a lot of pressure on women to be sexually active when they may not want to be. Just think how women are often careful to pay halves on dates to remove the pressure of the expectation that the guy paying will result in him 'getting laid'.
Unfortunately, we do live in a world which glorifies male sexual prowess and there are a lot of examples where humour draws on that. I think it's pretty inappropriate to sell eggs with such humour... Whether it is viewed by all as misogynistic or not, the fact that for some women it is a term imbued with male privilege is enough to mean it shouldn't be used in this context.
Thanks for the continued comments. I've been informally polling some Brits on this topic; but that is on hold as I'm back in DE for a few days.
After all the comments though, I'm very tempted to take a day trip to the egg farm to hear what they have to say on this topic...
The passive is a VOICE, not a TENSE
hahahahaha
Just arrived from TQE's blog and getting in late here. I think calling this misogynist is a stretch, really. But I see it as part of a rampant sexualization of advertising, which I do find problematic. I admit I laughed, but I do think it's edgy and not really appropriate here.
G,
Maybe you need to... ummm... get laid and relax a bit.
Seriously, I don't believe that you "...see misogyny, sexism and antisemitism quite clearly." Quite the contrary.
I DO believe that, as the psychologist says, you are primed - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priming_(psychology) - to see it EVERYWHERE, no matter if it's intended, even there... or not there at all.
I also do believe that you confuse "submissive sex" and the enjoyment of power exchange in a sexual setting (which many men and YES, statistically MORE WOMEN quite enjoy) with misogyny. See http://www.takeninhand.com/node/489 or for just one example.
There's also no patriarchy or rape culture involved in women being more likely to be sexually submissive, it's a simple fact of biology (http://bit.ly/abwwOU). It's why even hardcore feminists quite commonly DO have submissive fantasies (see, for example http://www.feministing.com/archives/014384.html for just one easily googlable example). And no, I don't mean to insinuate that women are the weaker sex - they are simply more likely to like being SEXUALLY dominated. Not really surprising unless you're one of those wackos who don't believe in evolution.
So, let's all read up on evolutionary psychology and watch some Bonobos have fun, mmmkay?
- Markus
Markus- I was going to give you an answer, but then I realized that anyone who would insult me, my husband and lead off with the very term I found offensive, is so illiterate in human empathy terms that there is no point in speaking to you. Have a great day, try to grow past 1950 in America.
G,
I do believe that feeling insulted by my previous comment readily confirms its content.
As for empathy: I do believe that this is exactly what YOU are lacking for submissive women and in fact anyone who does not fit your preconceived notions of how to think, act and behave.
If you find the references in my comment objectionable or the science shaky, we can talk further. Otherwise, everything is indeed said.
Except for one thing:
I really tried not to insult you. My bad if my rattling of your cage shook you in the wrong spots.
In fact, I truly pity you and your obvious lack of simple humor / lightness of being. If a simple egg carton can ruin your day, you must have been hurt BADLY at some point - and your outlook on life must make you feel miserable EVERY DAY. I'm sad for you and wish you all the best for your future.
My door is open if you'd like to talk,
- Markus
- Markus
Not to get in the middle of this delightful discussion, but I'm not sure how your husband was insulted?
Crap, I am late to the table, but sucked in nevertheless.
I laughed out loud when I read the egg carton. I would have bought those eggs immediately, just to have it. In fact, Heather, I'll buy and you can have the eggs if you send me the box.
Brits and Americans - we're so different. No way would that have made it in the US because plenty of Americans would have objected (on different grounds than misogyny) and the rest would have been too chicken shit (cluck cluck) to risk it. For all their prudish reputation, the Brits are a bit naughtier in their sense of humor. I find it refreshing and funny.
I don't see the connection to misogyny. I'm a feminist who didn't get laid today, yet, but I intend to tonight.
It's a misprint. They're scotch eggs, and it's supposed to read "I got plaid."
...and I'm actually surprised that no one said, what if you're reading too much into it and the damn eggs are just fresh that day?
Could have been a typo... ;-)
All, thanks for the continued comments, it's made for interesting reading. As I've been away in Germany for work, I couldn't access blogger to respond but followed along as they arrived via email.
I definitely need to visit the egg farm seeing the debate it spawned.
Just wanted to report I had some great eggs this morning. They weren't freshly laid this morning....but I was! ;-)
(could NOT help it)
Have a nice weekend everyone. M
Megan, you are a victim of misogyny.
I'm terribly sorry that the patriarchal rape culture that persists throughout society has put in you the position where you would willingly participate in an action that degrades you and allows your husband to put another notch in his belt. It's even more sad that you would be willing to use what is clearly an offensive term, like "get laid," when is conveys the fact that you were, apparently, drunk and only-semi-conscious while this horrid event occurred.
I realize that Germany is culturally equivalent to 1950s America, but you as an expat should be far more literate in human empathy and should understand that not only are you insulting yourself but you are insulting your husband. If you have kids (which per your profile, you do not), you would be insulting them. I hesitate to imagine your your co-resident felines feel about the situation.
Adam-
If you weren't gay and I wasn't married, I'd reach right through this laptop and kiss you. I haven't laughed so hard (after reading your last comment in this "debate") for I don't know how long. You absolutely made my week.
Hmmm, Adam you could be on to something: maybe I need to get drunk more often then and I will have kids...
(laughed out LOUD by your post btw)
I'm not shy with words. I think avoidance gives them their negative power, using them takes it away. Context is also important.
Laid - for me - isn't one of them. But this whole discussion will have me dusting off my good ol' Inga Muscio book for a refresher about the history and power of another word.
http://bit.ly/ajfPBY
An EXCELLENT read by the way for all non-misogynists.
I saw this package and giggled. Is it appropriate for all audiences? No, but if someone is an adult, then she should move on if she doesn't like it. If it's a child, where is the parent to "protect" the child from seeing it if the parent doesn't like it? Anyway, I find it funny and I consider myself a feminist. Also, I have used the term "gotten laid" before to describe my adventures. In my opinion, women can use the word whichever way they want.
Just popping in to say that I wouldn't touch this discussion with a ten foot pole but that I'd totally buy those eggs. Very clever marketing.
Good gracious... if you cannot laugh at the cute egg package, then you REALLY need to get laid ;)
Stop LOOKING for insults, relax & enjoy the funny side of life!
Post a Comment