Someone asked me, 'how do you know that she'll actually give it back?'
A. Because she's German and she said so. I put a lot of faith into German honesty.
B. Because she asked to leave some items here which she didn't need for the rest of her trip-mainly library books which she'll need to return to Germany.
And even if she didn't come back, it was my older rucksack which I keep for secondary purposes, the one which has been through a lot, so if it went on to never return that might not be so bad.
So she ended up coming round on Wednesday night, at the end of all of her adventures. She was out of cash and had seen enough of England at this point and was mentally preparing to jump back into school and a new flat on Saturday, after seven weeks of being on the move in the UK.
Since she last visited me I had window blinds installed and had bought my ebay bookshelves. In addition, I painted the bathroom. After painting the bathroom, upon removing all of the tape, I just put it directly up in the kitchen, my next painting project. I have been busy with work, etc. though, so I didn't get further than that on this project, although I had everything bought and ready to go.
As a thank you for letting her stay here and for something to do, she asks if I would like her help to paint the kitchen. I have relatives who are 22 in the US--if they asked to help paint something I'd probably hesitate a moment as it could be more trouble that it's worth. However--I knew that as a 22 year old German, she would have had YEARS of painting experience. (Which, of course, she did.) So I hesitated perhaps half a second before accepting her kind offer.
As expected--this got done the German way, immediately after dinner we began. Jump right in and start taping and preparing, no hestitation, just get 'er done. Within two hours we were cleaning up. She was an expert at wrapping the radiator and lightswitches in plastic and I couldn't be more pleased. I would never have even hinted at a Hospitality Club or Couchsurfing guest to have to assist me with anything, so this was such a pleasant surprise to have the offer.
Here is the before photo. The chosen color is the 2nd from the left, a slightly mossy green.
The after shot is a little washed out to be able to see the color. However, to get an idea--it's matching the lightest tiles here:


3 comments:
I love those tiles! Gorgeous...
Also...love your houseguest. Can she come around here and do our living room? That'd be great. :)
I LOVE that green. Perfect. And the house guest wasn't bad either.
Kinga: Thankfully those tiles came done with the place. I can only imagine all the time to lay those little things.
christina: indeed. :-)
Post a Comment