I always keep an eye on what is happening on the UK immigration scene, in particular in case they introduce any new requirements which may impact my later applications for extensions.
All things being held equal...assuming you have desire and drive to go and live in another country, there are certainly a lot of opportunities in the UK for 'other' job holders, not just computer geeks (like so often come to the US). For example, on the list are 'exotic' professions such as professional ballerinas and orchestra musicians, but many 'normal' jobs such as nurses, social workers, paediatric dentistry consultants and pipe welders.
These tier 2 permits are skilled worker permits, so a company does have to jump through the hoops of applying for it on your behalf, as well as paying for it, but apparently the UK is lacking in these professions so that the need is justified.
The whole reason I found my way over there, the committee for these released a short update that teachers in special schools and skilled meat boners and trimmers should be added to the list.
So apparently the opening of the EU didn't fill the need for meat workers as predicted. More interesting--meat cutters are on shortage occupations lists elsewhere as well:
Canada - http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Profile.aspx?val=9&val1=9462
Not yet skilled in the trade? Go to Denmark and learn the skill.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Interesting. I would love to work in England or Europe, but DEF not as a meat cutter or bone trimmer (wtf is that anyway?)
Chef is also a privileged occupation in the US (or was last time I looked). Always interesting to read these lists.
Kristin: I believe it's a highly skilled meat slaughterhouse emp.
G: Funny that chef is such an in demand skill.
Post a Comment