Monday, October 05, 2009

Book Monday - Best of Enemies


Britain and Germany: 100 Years of Truth and Lies
by Richard Milton
from Amazon, here. My price at the Red Cross Charity Shop in Wales: 2.99 GBP
From the inside cover:
'For the best part of a century, Brtain and German had been closer than any other two countries. Germany was Britain's biggest export market, and vice versa. Germans adopted English dress, customs and manners. German thinking on race, national identity, eugenics and racial supremacy also had its roots in British thinkers like Darwin, Huxley and Galton. Even as late as the Nazi era, Hess, Himmler, Goering and Hitler himself remained passionate Anglophiles.'
I've wanted to read this one for a while, since I knew I was moving to the UK. Over time, some UK work colleagues have mentioned how they thought of Germany growing up is largely a result of their UK educational background. While I have an interest in German history over the past 100 years and have read up on it, I'm not so familiar with UK history over the past 100 years, so looking forward to see the intersection of them.
The start of Chapte 23:

2 comments:

vailian said...

On the other hand, I am not so sure I can take the author quite seriously. He believes in paranormal activity, creationism, and reckons that the sun is powered by cold fusion.
As one of his reviewers puts it, "it is twaddle that betrays, on almost every page, complete and total pig-ignorance of the subject at hand"

heather in europe said...

v: ok, so it will be read with a grain of salt or two in hand. :-) my main focus will be the historical events...