Thursday, August 06, 2009

Vegan dinner - day 6

It was warm and humid here today through this evening, now it's cool and rainy.

Today's dinner was pasta, two zuchinnis (we're in full zuchinni season here, they're dirt cheap!) in Dolmio's pasta sauce and a bit of bread. These pasta sauces have been on sale at asda, two 500 gram jars for 3 GBP. I'm a big fan, because there is nothing in these sauces which wouldn't be there if I made them from scratch.

You may notice this is a little carb heavy for me. I've noticed when I go vegan, to drop the cheese out of meals really knocks out a lot of the fat/calories. The rest of my work days usually look like this:
Breakfast: 08.00 - coffee in the office
09.30ish - cereal in the office. (I keep Bran Flakes in my desk drawer)
Lunch: 11.30ish - lunch in the office. Lunch is usually a leftover dinner. So when I made the above tonight, I made enough to have a second, smaller portion which will be tomorrow's lunch, usually with a side of salad, but sans bread.
Dinner: 17.00ish - tonight's dinner was the above.
19.00 - tonight a small bowl of cereal (again, focusing on the carbs a bit more than usual to keep the energy up--not normal when i'm my normal vegetarian self).

2 comments:

Ralph said...

Looks good, though I avoid store-bought sauces.

I recommend the NYT series by Martha Shulman:

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/series/recipes_for_health/index.html

After overcoming initial skepticism, I tried out her "Polenta With Zucchini and Tomatoes" and was very pleasantly surprised.

heather in europe said...

Ralph: Thanks for the tip, I see she has some interesting artichoke recipes--the artichoke being something I still need to master.