Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The most fascinating Germans

Maybe it's because I'm in a good mood because I'm leaving...or because the Germans I'd dealing with recognize that I'm leaving so they're not on my case to integrate...or because I'm meeting like-minded frugal people--however, in selling off the things from my flat, I am meeting the most fascinating set of Germans since I've been here.

Today, a woman came for the small Ikea bookshelf; it being for her small daughter (perhaps 2,5 years old) whom she brought along. She was asking me about my future plans and mentions that she, her husband and small daughter will be moving to Spain, hopefully this year. Her English was superb, with accent, but not a noticeably German one.

She explained that she had lived outside of Germany for over 8 years, most recently in Argentina, where she met said husband, an Argentinian. When the Argentinian economy collapsed, they decided to come to Europe, but of Germany, 'I do not like the lifestyle, especially now that I have gone and have come back.' (I didn't get to ask if she has family in the region, or if the job only brought them to this area.) And she uttered one of my favorite Germanized English phrases regarding life in Germany--'it is nothing for me'.

So their plans are to move to Spain as they speak Spanish at home and for a different lifestyle and better weather. So they are not investing too heavily in life here for the moment depending on how things turn out, only small things like my used bookshelf from kalaydo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't really sleep tonight so I spent the time with reading blogs. I am German and my girlfriend is from the US (Lancaster County, PA). Since I am together with her and I come to the US more often I have problems how things are in Germany. I can't stand my own country anymore sometimes. I read all of your remarks and it seems that you didn't like it in Germany and your are happy to leave. Even when I know why and what your problems could have been in "good old germany", my question is: Why didn't you leave earlier? I hope that wasn't to much of German directness. Enjoy the UK
Frank

heather in europe said...

Frank,
You must really have insomnia if blogs such as mine did not put you to sleep!

Lancaster County is a beautiful part of PA, I can only imagine your first thoughts upon seeing it.

Having lived here so long, I can tolerate a high level of German directness, so you need not worry. :-) However, the answer deserves a full post, which I will do next.

Thanks for the note,
Heather