Friday, January 09, 2009

January is...

the driest month. A habit I picked up from an Irish colleague since living here was to give up alchohol in the month of January. And let's face it, the Irish know a bit about this topic. In particular, I think that January in my corner of NRW can sorta cause one to get into a slump. From the excitement of going back to the US as well as the Christmas markets in December until Karneval in February, January tends to be a little boring.

Before you ask the regular questions:
Are you a purist, stopping at exactly 23.59 on Dec 31st?
-No. I'm not so into this to that level. If the night of Dec 31st doesn't end until 02.00 on January 1st, so be it.

Do you make up for it by having a good drink up at the first possible moment in February?
-Actually, the opposite. I ease back into drinking in February gradually.

Isn't that a difficult month to choose, January can be so dark and dreary?
I think it's probably the easiest actually. I'd miss it more in the summer when there are nice beer gardens or wine in the summer beside the Rhein.

In the meantime, Father Ted on this topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxbyO4FQ_Fk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYVVnBDNxg

No comments: