I was doing some research online, on ways to ship things to the UK. On one hand, it's nice when a German-based company offers an English version of their website. On the other hand, if you are multi-national corporation, I have higher expectations of your English, than, say, my work colleague who had only school English and never left Germany.
Maybe this has a more approriate meaning in another style of English than American English:
No more humping stuff around - we'll do it all for you!
Here's the German original:
Schluss mit der Schlepperei - Wir machen das für Sie!
Here's where my thoughts went upon reading it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to+hump
Usually with a half decent understanding of German and English, one can connect the dots of how they came up with what they did (such as when you see 'hello together' or 'we meet us until 6' or other such literal translations).
This one leaves me stymied, as to where they came up with it. I was so fascinated that I even searched Leo, trying to figure out where this one went wrong, I still have no idea. If you see the connection, please tell me...
Monday, December 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
It just goes to show you have a Dirty Mind!! Shame. On. You.
I know this definition of humping, have used it on many an occasion. Only I can't remember if it was in England or America.
But the definition does exist and is documented:
v. humped, hump·ing, humps
v.tr.
1. To bend or round into a hump; arch.
2. Slang
a. To exert (oneself).
b. To carry, especially on the back.
3. Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse with.
v.intr.
1. Slang To exert oneself.
2. Slang To hurry.
3. Vulgar Slang To engage in sexual intercourse.
Idiom:
over the hump
Past the worst or most difficult part or stage: At last I'm over the hump on my term paper.
[Probably of Low German origin.]
(From thefreedictionary.com)
...by the way, you missed a great Thanksgiving dinner here, but no, you insisted that investigating salacious phrases was a higher priority...
I have actually heard that term as hump=sclep, although I would use schlep as it is part of my native vocabulary;).
Although I of course know the colloquial meaning of hump=to have sex with, more usualy in an agressive/external manner (we would refer to humping and tupping and tipping in reference to sheep and cows, as in " At RPI the men are men and the sheep are scared"), I would have thought of the schlep meaning first.
Here- The SEALs Fitness guide:
http://books.google.com/books?id=m2zzqcoMEyQC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=to+hump+a+load&source=web&ots=Q1yBuw_vPI&sig=nTGcxu-Kt7G9vCkqRccFCW63GX0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result
Maybe it was a military term?
v: takes one to know one. Am guessing you must have been in England. 'Over the hump' would be my only use of the word.
G: funny, 'schlep' was the word which first came to my mind, although in pondering further was thinking that was confined to the Philly up to Boston region so not a good choice for a wide English-speaking audience.
Interesting thought on the military possibility.
Hump is definitely a military term.
From the Marine Corps Dictionary:
"A field march or extended hike. To work hard. Also, to fornicate."
Unless the translator had just watched a bunch of war movies, there's a good chance it was done by a former or current military man.
Also words like "schlep" "schmutz" and "schmaltz" (and others) owe their popularity in the US and the UK to Yiddish speaking Jews.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinglish
Just watch Mike Meyers do Linda Richman.
Jeff: interesting reference to the Marine Corp Dictionary. Although you would expect dhl to hire a professional translator, and one who is ex-military should recognize a military term vs a general usage.
Post a Comment