My grandmother's house is typical for the Phillyland area, neat little row homes, block parties in the summer, everyone knows everone else. Many people have been on this street since before I was born, so they knew me way back when. The area is pretty close, so people have known when I would be in town more or less, because Grandma told them.
Neighbor from up the street (who was a US soldier in Germany in the 1960's and who married a German woman and they have lived here ever since): Yo H.
H: Hi.
N: So I knew you were in town.
H: The old lady gossip network told you?
N: No. In the awful rainy weather the other day, when I was driving up the street, guess what I saw? I saw someone dressed in dark colors, out walking. I knew it was either a Kraut* or someone who lives in Krautland*, so therefore odds would be that it was you, because the fat Americans all drive when it's raining H.
H: Yep, that was me.
N: Welcome back.
* his words, not mine
Friday, December 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment