Her speech reminds me...when I lived in Cologne, either the graffiti wasn't there, or I didn't notice it. Here in B, it's plentiful:

This is about a 5 minute walk from my flat. Not that I need to start another photo series (after the widely popular 'pigs on B rubbish bins' postings) but I easily could. I would estimate that the graffiti of this theme is 75% of B's graffiti. And it remains once it gets there, no one 'official' paints over it--although sometimes additional 'artists' will tend to modify it, as you see here with the scratches in the center.
Why I find this so interesting:
- The tiny town of B is located in the state of NRW, in a triangle formed by D'dorf, Cologne, and Leverkusen. We're not exactly in NPD territory.
- Want to study election results? here and here are quite interesting. Overall NPD took just under 1% of the NRW vote in 2005, with B giving 1,2%.
- B has approx 17k residents, including the surrounding ultra tiny neighborhoods and farms. It tends to be seen as a sleepy village where only one bar is open past 10 pm on Saturday nights rather than a center of any type of political strife.
Therefore I remain curious--who has the gumption and incentive to be painting the town? Bored and disgruntled kids...or someone else?
2 comments:
Thanks for marking the occasion. I was shocked to see that no one appeared to have noticed it.
g: just my opinion, but on this side of Germany, there isn't much commemoration, or it isn't very noticeable--just some small events (mainly at local churches) found via a small blurb hidden at the bottom of page 5 in the newspaper.
what makes that vaguely appalling, is that other events, such as the local Bier Boerse are advertised out the ying yang, including the front page of the paper for 2 weeks in advance.
Post a Comment