- going to a direct Eurostar destination of Brussels or Paris rather than an indirect one like Cologne, otherwise to fly is faster.
- when the company is paying for business travel as it's awfully expensive.
So coming back, one clears UK immigration on the French side at the Gare du Nord Eurostar terminal in Paris. After you get through the ticket checkers and bag x-xray, it's on to passport control. I had a young Asian border agent, whom interestingly, I had a hard time hearing. This is quite an accomplishment, as I have 'bat ears', I can hear a gnat sneezing in the next county. So it went something like this:
(Heather, handing across the passport, work permit side open and face up, along with the required entry card).
Border agent: Travelling to the UK?
Heather: Yes (Thinking: No, I just wandering in here and handed you my passport to get to the platform where trains only go to the UK as a mistake.)
BA: Do you work in the UK?
H: Yes. (Did you not just see my work permit page, the one that you scanned, or are we playing border agent games?)
BA: mhrp mmm trp?
H: Yes?
BA: Trrgh sm profession?
H: Yes.
BA: (More loudly this time) What is your profession?
H: Computer work. (like it says on the border card that I handed to you.)
BA: What is your work permit?
H: I'm sorry?
BA: What type of work permit do you have?
H: (Now sitting on the fence and contemplating a response that is either condescending at her obvious border games, or more of a 'German irritation' flavour, ultimately I go with the latter. Insert German scowl here.) Tier 1. It's the page where I gave you my passport and where you scanned it.
BA: Are you employed?
H: Yes. (Not that I really need to answer that. My permit does not require me to remain 100% employed, only that I meet the criteria prior to renewal.)
BA: And where do you work?
H: Benevolent company J.Finally she stamps the passport and through I come. I continue to find the UK immigration experience to be ridiculous. It's interesting that there is such a strong local backlash against immigrants 'taking the jobs of UK workers' and specifically at illegals, but I have to go through the dog and pony show every time I want to come into the UK on my legal work permit. Specifically, I find some of these agents to be over the top, that they appear to be pinning their frustrations onto the only targets they can find, rather than the ones engaged in illegal activity.
1039 days until I can apply for UK citizenship to have a UK passport and get off this teacup ride. Or two years and 10 months, but who's counting?
May 23 then will be the day that I drop below the 1k mark, to 999 days. I may throw a small party to celebrate the milestone. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment