It took on a sense of urgency this week, as temps dropped below freezing in Essex. I brought in all of the peppers that I've grown:

It's a bit of an experiment, but I thought some whole ones and some slices would do:

An hour later, we have 11 full jars of Balkon peppers and garlic that received a mix of pickling vinegar, water, and preserving salt:
They look really nice, but the true test will be in 4-6 weeks when I crack open the first one. For now, they've been relegated to the bedroom as that is the coolest room in the house, to rest in a dark box and get ready...

4 comments:
They are very pretty in the jars. I hope they taste lovely in a few weeks.
Rhona: I'll be sure to post after the tasting. :-)
I wish I liked pickled things more. Considering my relatively recently discovered love of chutney, I thought pickles would be sure to follow soon and even made some this year. But so far, I'm mostly feeling very indifferent to them.
I did dilly beans - tasted some from the first batch last week, which I brought along to a potluck afternoon - I found them very sour and the Germans weren't too keen. The second jar was opened yesterday for another German friend who is visiting and he, although he looked very dubious at first and was really only tasting them to please me, ended up eating half the jar in one sitting. I don't expect much of it to be left when I get home from work today.
I also made bread & butter cucumbers and won't be tasting them anyway, since I can't stand cucumber. But anyone who has tasted them has loved them.
Be careful though, the canning/bottling route is a very slippery slope and before you know it, you'll be refusing all social engagements in August, September and October because you will be busy. :-) I managed to borrow Dampfentsafter this week and have three large shopping bags of apples still left to juice (making the pulp into Apfelmus and some of the juice into Apfelgelee as well). The ironing will just have to wait!
Moonwaves: I would love to do something with apples next, I have a supply available where they are falling off the tree and rotting on the ground. :-(
I love this phrase of yours, and I imagine it's absolute truth-->'the canning/bottling route is a very slippery slope'
Post a Comment