Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The frugal December trip home

Around this time last year I detailed my previous trips home from Europe to the US for the December hols.

Last year I was looking forward to flying back to the US from the UK for the first time, because it seems that there are more options for me. I ended up getting a really sweet deal on TapPortugal, although not the most direct route.

I've been playing around with the options this year, Open Skies appears to be making things easier, in particular as Newark is always an option.

Another possibility for this year is to combine two one ways. United and Iceland Express offer one way flights that are half of the roundtrip costs.

I'd recommend taking a peek at Iceland Express if you are still looking for a cheap route home. Granted they are nothing fancy--think Southwest style. However, I've taken them to Iceland a few times and they are 'cheap and cheerful' as my UK colleagues would say. So far, they were potentially my least expensive option, although all flights do include that Reykjavik connection and US landing cities are somewhat limited...

Until a further speedbump this year is that work suggested that I come back to DE again, in the third week of December when I had my heart set on December 15th to go home. Prices were not looking so hot if I stay that week in DE, by the time I could get back to the UK, prices were awful.

And then I took a step back and thought a little more.

I managed to pick up a cheap miles trip on United, one of their saver awards. For 27,500 miles and 61 USD (taxes), I will be enjoyed the almost last row as I wing it back to the US this year one way...from Frankfurt. While work will not subsidize the inflated cost of leaving later, they will allow to ship me anywhere from the office that would be an equivalent cost to sending me back to the UK. My work meetings are in Cologne, so I'll be purchasing a sale ICE ticket next week.

So after thinking my last transcontinental from DE was well behind me...I'm back.

On a positive note, I'll be able to bring back chocolate santas and hopefully get in a few Christmas markets, just like old times. Who says you can't go home?

Now, to figure out the return to the UK...

1 comment:

J said...

I love the Open Skies agreement too. It allowed me to fly from L.A. to Frankfurt non-stop.

Selfishly, I'm glad that you'll be back in Germany and hope we can meet up for a CM. I'm free the 11th and 12th, does it look like you can come in on the weekend (the 12th is better for me).