Saturday, October 30, 2010

The trip back to the UK from the US

Well we're waiting here in Allentown,
for the Pennsylvania we never found
-Billy Joel

A little while back, I mentioned that I booked a 1 way back to the US, from Germany. Now all that remained was to get myself back, anytime between Dec 25th (we celebrate on Dec 24th) and Jan 3rd.

Iceland Express to Gatwick (ack!) on Dec 27th was looking like the best cost option, for 200 GBP plus 45 GBP of public transit cost, although if I could get my act together for the 25th, I'd be able to do the US holiday as well as the UK holiday (Dec 26th). However, in the end, after much gnashing of the teeth, I figured out that I could get back on a saver ticket on Dec 28th--from Allentown for a mere 52,500 miles. Trying to get back on Dec 25 included a 7 hour layover, which just got silly for a 7 hour flight. Even trying to go unrestricted coach for 55k miles was sending me via Chicago for 55k miles and 5 hours in the Windy city.

As that virtually clears out my United account, I'll be back to travels in the back of the plane for 2011 (grumble, grumble), unless I can build up my miles again on some business travel.

Allentown is a nice airport to travel from, if you ever get a chance. It's tiny, so there are never mega queues like in Philly or Newark. Parking is cheap and from where my rides are usually coming from, it's not a big deal with the traffic.

On the negative side, there are few direct options beyond Detoit to the Northwest, Florida to the South, and Canada to the North. Their international options the last time I flew through were two Canadian flights. ;-)

However...in travelling on United miles, I could only get out via Wash Dulles or Chicago, so no matter where I went through (Philly, Newark, or Allentown), it was going to shuttle me to Heathrow via Dulles. On a positive point, however...as I was relatively flexible on the time (once I realized that Dec 25 wasn't possible), I was able to get a business saver ticket back to London. So rather than being sardined in the back for the Transcon, I'll be in the front with free wine while I wing my way back in the pressurized tube, with my two free bags instead of one.

1 comment:

J said...

I flew out of Allentown going west (via O'Hare to SFO) when I was in the US this year. I agree, it's a nice little airport, but Allentown itself is a bit out of the way. Luckily for me, it's half way between my family in Philly and the Poconos.

Flying Business Class is a dream I have yet to fulfill.