Thursday, February 05, 2009

Most interesting response

From the Germans I have known since arriving here, probably the ones who know me the best...upon hearing that I will be moving to the UK, the initial reaction has been a 3 sentence standard, consistent from each:

(thoughtful pause, staring into space) Yes....yes, I think that will be good for you.
(quickly followed by) Not that we want you to leave Germany of course, H!
(and a return to philosophical seriousness) But I think this move will definitely be good for you.

As do I.

2 comments:

vailian said...

Well, I for one am sad you are leaving, I don't suppose you can get into Cologne this weekend for one last Kölsch?
Having lived in both places, I must say I don't regret settling here (it was the right thing to do professionally as well).
The German tendency towards predictability has presented me with a lot of opportunities having to do with the virtues of unpredictability. :)
It is harder to develop personal relationships in Germany, but on the other hand, once they are established, they can weather a lot of storms.

heather in europe said...

v: only if you have availability feb 14th? will send you an email.