1. Move early and often.
2. Don't fork out cash for movers--do it yourself so that every item you are taking elsewhere, you will literally feel the weight.
3. Set a limit on space alotted for such a move.
4. Move in the winter time.
So where am I at?
1. I moved from the US to the UK in 2003, with two suitcases. I moved from the UK to town #1 Germany in 2003. I moved from town #1 to Cologne in 2005. I moved from Cologne to the tiny town of B in 2006. Now, I move to the UK in 2009. If I would not have had those three moves since 2003 I'd probably be much worse off.
2. As I knew I wouldn't be in Germany long term, most of my furniture was of a 'dent and scratch', 'trash-picked' or Ikea variety. So therefore I had no problems to sell it all off or give it away. Everything else I boxed and carried to the car on my own.
-Small Heather-sized boxes are my secret. Easier on the back as well as more convenient for the best Tetris-like arrangement of boxes in a small space.
3. My limit at this point in my life is whatever fits inside a VW Polo.
4. Not sure how it happens, but I seem to feel the need to make major like changes that somehow pan out with a January or February move. Knowing that it's cold and wet outside, I keep things moving and anything that I'm 50/50 on taking is easily decided.
I'm off to the UK for a long weekend. I'll leave a few more posts for you while I'm gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment