Days that is. I'm currently 1/3 of the way through my Intensive German course so thus the posting hiatus. My work colleagues and friends have been asking the same things, so here are the answers in advance. ;-)
How's the campsite?
Absolutely super. These things are often hit or miss, but I've been pleasantly surpised. I'll try to bring along the camera and take some photos of it.
Is there a shower?
Yes. There is a female bathroom/shower area and a separate male one. It's located on the floor below the restaurant. It's heated and immaculately clean at all hours. Showers are .50 cents, for about 3-5 min of hot water. You press a button and the water comes out for about 20-30 seconds, then you can lather up then press the button again, and keep repeating until the water pressure suddenly drops and starts to go cold, signifying about 30 seconds of cold water left.
How's the weather?
It's been chilly, and this area 1hr 20 min from tiny town of B got hit by major storms last week Sunday (my first night there), with many basements in the area flooded. I woke up to a slightly damp tent floor. As the tent has stayed dry through torrential rains in the Faroes and Iceland, to wake up to dampness I thought I was done for if I had 3 weeks of this coming.
How's the course?
For a VHS class, I'm pleasantly surprised. There are 7 people in my class; overall there are 4 different classes of people grouped by ability, which they ascertained on the first day with a written and oral test. The school planned a ton of events into the 3 weeks, including Saturday bus excursions (at no cost) to Cologne and Duisburg (yes Dbunny-really D'burg!), as well as local events during the week such as a local town historical walking tour and visit to a local castle. Since I've been in Germany so long most of the excursions aren't so interesting to me, except for one--meeting the mayor in the town hall, including a tour of the town hall. They needed a headcount the other day, they mayor will be serving drinks and needed to know in advance the number of glasses to have available.
(My work colleague's reaction to the above: hrrmph! my taxes paying for that!)
Who else is taking the course?
There is a wide mixture of students. Overall, I am in the middle of the age range in my class. There are housewives who have just arrived whose husbands have a work assignment here, there are students from Asia and Brazil, there are university students from Eastern Europe, there are people like me who live/work here and want to improve their existing skills, there is an au pair who arrived 2 days before the course started, there is a woman from Uruguay who works in Spain and enjoys studying German on her own and comes each year for this course (she's in her third year of it), and on and on. It's an absolutely delightful mix of people. I think there are overall 3 US folks out of 30 or so people, but the others are in different classes from me so we've only chatted during the breaks.
So what does your day look like there?
Well, I catch the 0755 bus from the campsite which puts me in town at 0821. Then I have enough time to pick up a good to-go coffee and a brotchen (small bread roll) for later in the morning. On Thursday and Friday I brought goat's cheese and raspberries to spread on the bread, superb. Class goes from 0900-10.30, break from 10.30-11.00, and then class from 11.00-12.30.
At 12.30 I may wonder around town a bit or I head back to the campsite area to eat lunch. Then in the afternoon I do the 20 min homework and then spend an hour or two messing around with my personal German grammar book, based on any of the words/constructions I heard in class but did not already know. I find my German is heavily skewed toward the office environment, as that is where I spend 40+ hrs/week or in practical things from the tiny town of B, such as going to the post office. Therefore my vocab and grammar tends to have holes in some of the more practical areas such as going to a hospital or talking about family things, as I have done neither here.
After I bore of that, I wander around in the area surrounding the campsite. It's absolutely tranquil and splendid in its beauty. I've also planned to go to the outdoor pool because it's literally right next door to the campsite, but the weather has been too chilly to warrent a visit yet.
In the evening I have a small early bite to eat and then catch up on reading for pleasure. So far, as it's been chilly, I've spent a lot of time in the tent reading, because it's too cold to just sit outside if you're not moving. I've read Einstein's Dreams, and then The Young Wan by Brendan O'Carroll, in case you're wondering. Thursday I started to read The Life of Pi. All of the above are from www.bookswapper.de, ones that I received over the past few months but hadn't any time to yet read. If the weather this week is like last, I'll need to take up another one to follow The Life of Pi.
As it gets too dark to read (just before 10), I usually go to bed, although I have candles with in case I want to continue reading.
What do you eat there?
That's been one of the best parts. Usually I find that I eat better while camping--probably because it involves more planning in advance. Since the weather (except one day) has been unseasonably cool (think late Sept in Philly--53 F lows), I've brought along more fresh things than I would have been able to otherwise.
I checked the weather predictions in advance and then brought along enough items that I would have some choice as nothing would go bad due to the cooler temps. In addition, I came by car, so that gave me some leeway to bring heavier things than if I was carrying everything and coming by train/bus. So my meals looked something like this during the past week:
Monday
AM - coffee (purchased)
late AM - boiled egg (boiled 3 of them at home and brought along)
lunch - German strawberries, raw califlower, fresh tomatoes from the balconey garden, an orange, a fresh bread roll
PM - fresh peas (the last from the balcony garden) which I shelled and ate raw. I love fresh peas.
dinner - cereal. Alnatura makes a cruncy granola/musli-like cereal, which is perfect if you're doing a lot of walking. I find it at DM-->Hafer Crunchy.
Tues
(like Monday)
Wed-Fri
lots of goodies from the local farmers' market
Highlight of the week?
The local farmers market on Wed mornings. I actualy woke up an hour early so that I could go before class as I heard early morning is the best time to go. (Knowing my opinion of early mornings, you can imagine this must have been something special to merit the early wake-up.) They open at 7 AM, I arrived by 8AM. The selection was enormous, rows and rows of sellers with everything (granted now is the peak harvest time), from the local area.
I bought: raspberries, eggs, corn, round and regular zucchinni, yellow squash, goat's cheese, green and black zebra tomatoes, peas, a coffee, and a pumpkin seed bread roll, all of which made up my meals for the rest of the week. I'm really looking forward to going again this week.
Any interesting differences H? Or is an hour from home really the same?
1. One glaring difference here...people consistently give you your change in your hand. One of the big differences from me when I first moved from the US to the Cologne area is that people consisently smack your change down on the counter or the tray on their little counter. Up here people consistently want to put it into your hand. I'm oddly reversed as it's the 'US way'. ;-)
2. I'm finding people to be downright pleasant in personality even though it's a large city; I'm finding the feeling closer to the tiny town of B rather than Cologne, even though population-wise it's definitely closer to the latter. I'm wondering if that's because their economy is heavily dependent upon outsiders, they are not a self-contained universe like Cologne. For example, the egg seller asked me where I was from, and I explained I'm here in a course blah blah. He thought this was quite good and he thinks the US is ok but it's good to be here also, blah blah. For such a large city I was not expecting such a small-town warmth.
Anything else to say H?
Yeah, I'll put up some advance posts which will appear in my absence for those few who check in regularly to read my drivel as I'm chock full of things to say apparently. ;-)
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment